Friday, December 29, 2017

“Fishers of Men”
By Karen D’Amore

And Jesus said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men.”
Mark 1:17 (NASB)

In recent years, running has become my crucial source of quiet time with God. My greatest stress outlet…has become my most vital “in-let” where God uses my unconventional “church-on-the-run” to bring Scripture to life and reveal inspiring spiritual metaphors. With praise music setting my pace, it also prepares my heart for those messages, and God meets with me on those isolated country roads.

On a recent run, my worship music through iHeart Christian radio was interrupted by a true story painting a vivid picture of today’s key verse. The story was about a pastor in Houston who, in the wake of hurricane Harvey, boated through flooded neighborhoods and assisted in the rescues of trapped and stranded flood victims. In an interview with the local media, the pastor shared how, during the course of his rescue efforts, he was literally fishing people out of the floodwaters, utilizing a large fishing net to scoop them into the boat. Hailed a hero for saving victims from life-threatening conditions, he diverted the focus to how the experience had impacted and changed his outlook on today’s familiar Scripture.

Mark 1:17 can best be summarized as “The Call to Ministry.” This verse contains one command, “Follow Me”; one promise, “I will make you”; and one lifelong process, “Become fishers of men.” This metaphor illustrates our call, as Christ-followers, to catch  souls and release them to Jesus. “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations.” (Matthew 28:19a) As disciples we’re called to bring people into God’s kingdom. We’re to serve as “life-savers” by catching and rescuing the “unsaved” world from the drowning floodwaters of sin, and bringing them to an eternal-life-relationship with Jesus.

As I visualized that Houston pastor fishing frantic victims out of the rising floodwaters into the safety of his boat, I too was drawn to see the call to be “fishers of men” in a new light. When I recognized the pastor’s actions to be a “life-saving” rescue mission, it illustrated a greater sense of urgency to reach out and rescue the drowning “unsaved” world around me.

While completing my run and reflecting on the pastor’s story, I was moved to sing a song I learned in Sunday school as a young child:

            “I will make you fishers of men…fishers of men…fishers of men.
 I will make you fishers of men…if you follow Me!”

With our transformational testimonies ready and the gospel truth at hand…let’s grab our nets and…Go Fish!


GOING DEEPER:
1. Fishing requires great patience! Consider where you need to cast your net and be rescue-ready.

FURTHER READING:


Married to Dan, Karen, a retired police officer, currently works as a Manicurist at Craig Berns Salon and as an instructor in the Cosmetology Department at WCTC. Karen also serves on the Welcoming Team at Oakwood.