Friday, December 1, 2017

The Not-So-Obvious Answer
By Stephanie LaCasse

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

"How on Earth am I supposed to get all these referrals in...in one day?" I lamented to my coworker as she stopped at my desk today looking just as worn as I was.

Her response... "Pray?"

My coworker is not a particularly religious person, but her answer struck a chord with me. Pray? I think she meant it as in we will need a miracle to get everything done tomorrow. But it reminded me that God cares about the big things (our marriage, how we parent, how we interact with the community) as much as He does the small things (what we worry about, what we do at work, even what we wear and eat).

Jesus was speaking to the crowd in the book of Matthew when he told them not to worry because he's in control of the small things. "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" (Matthew 6:26) I love that picture. The birds do NOTHING to help themselves. God is their provider.

So as we go into today... let's remember Who is walking right beside us. And let us remember Who is really in control. And let’s remember to talk to Him about it.

Even though my friend had a short answer for my rant... she ended up being right on point.

GOING DEEPER:
1.      Do you have a tendency to forget to stop and pray?
2.      What do you need to do to incorporate prayer more in your everyday life?

FURTHER READING:


Stephanie is a mom of three young sons and wife to Dave, who is currently in seminary preparing for chaplaincy in the US Army. In her spare time, she’s employed at a law firm.