Wednesday, December 6, 2017

In My Fears
By Steph LaCasse

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?”
Matthew 6:25-34 (NIV, emphasis mine)

“Mom, what are you afraid of?” inquired my six-year-old. I thought about how much I wanted to divulge regarding my personal fears, then figuring everyone is afraid of something, I was just honest.

I said, “Well, I’m afraid of moths even though they can’t hurt you. I’m afraid of losing one of you kids or Daddy. I’m also afraid of what will happen in the future.” I continued that I didn’t know what the future holds for our family, but I know Who holds the future.

Lucas exclaimed, “God holds the future, and the future holds God.”

Even though he’s only six, my little Lucas was delving deep into humanity, and he didn’t even know it. People are worriers. Some more than others. We worry about what other people think of us.  We worry about money.  We worry about what tomorrow, next week or next year will bring.

In the verse above, Jesus is talking to the crowd about worry. He was using a very practical example of something the people saw every day. How often do we see birds? Depending on the time of year, we will consistently see at least a few birds each day. Do they worry if they will have enough food to get through the day? No, they just eat because they know their Creator will feed them.

How often do we worry about things that are beyond our control? I do…all the time. I am a habitual worrier. In my case, it goes beyond worry and turns into anxiety, which isn’t good for anyone. I know that my Heavenly Father is there: He hasn’t run away, and He knows my deepest fears, worries and anxiety. He, and only He, has the power to overturn those items and allow me peace…peace that passes all understanding.

So, what do we do with these wise words of Jesus? Trust. Trust that God is there. Trust that He will provide, and trust that He knows what is best for us when we don’t know what’s best for ourselves. Like any good father would. Only better.

GOING DEEPER:

1.    What is one way you can trust Jesus just a little bit more today?

FURTHER READING:


Stephanie is a mom of three young sons and wife to Dave, who is currently in seminary preparing for chaplaincy in the US Army. In her spare time, she’s employed at a law firm.