Tuesday, February 27, 2018


Choosing to Persevere (Part two)
By Karen D’Amore

Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be
mature and complete, not lacking anything.
James 1:4 (NIV)

I had monitored the daunting sub-zero forecast for days, so I had full disclosure as to the obstacles I’d be encountering. Similarly, the prepaid race fee wasn’t a steep enough investment to influence my withdrawal from the race, either. Although I’m not generally a New Year’s resolution embracer, there was something significant about this New Year’s Day event that was impelling me to complete the race, in spite of the miserable forecast. Choosing  to tackle the forecasted obstacles was spurred by the desire to launch the new year, challenging myself to be stretched beyond my comfort zone.

(Recalling this impactful, anonymous quote on a coffee mug also influenced my decision: Perseverance…The greater the obstacle, the greater the glory in overcoming it!)  

As chronicled in yesterday’s devotional Him-Powering Perseverance, the anticipated dreadful race conditions were more challenging than I could’ve ever imagined. Honestly, my “comfort zone” didn’t know what had hit it! And when my comfort zone reached a point of desperation, I finally cried out to God. When my strength was tapped out, I recognized the vulnerability of my personal weakness which moved me to acknowledge my need for God. The supernatural empowerment I experienced in that moment tied deeply-stable knots to my faith-strings.

What a beautiful analogy for real life: As my feet pounded the frozen pavement - - every time I placed one foot in front of the other - - God met me in that placement. And as I persevered through the difficulties and obstacles in that race, it was God who was glorified in the outcome. Drawing me to a place of recognizing my humble dependence on Him, He didn’t remove the obstacles. But rather, He carried me through them.  My feet traversed through Scripture as I experienced the dynamics of Hebrews 12:1b-2a, “…let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.”

Choosing to subject myself to, and persevere through, the obstacles of that New Year’s Day race, served as an invaluable faith-building exercise. Had I chosen to live within the limits of my comfort zone, I would have missed an opportunity to grow and mature my faith. And I would have robbed myself of the privilege of experiencing God in His supernatural glory.

“But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weakness…” [1]

Choose to persevere!


GOING DEEPER:
1. How will you choose perseverance?

FURTHER READING:

Married to Dan, Karen, a retired police officer, currently works as a Manicurist at Craig Berns Salon and as an instructor in the Cosmetology Department at WCTC. Karen also serves on the Welcoming Team at Oakwood.


[1] 2 Corinthians 12:9-10a