Thursday, February 22, 2018


In Training
By Vernette Kureck

“Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.”  

It was time to do some grocery shopping. As I grabbed my cart, I couldn’t help but notice the miniature cart with a four- to five-year-old navigating the entryway. What really caught my attention was the extended pennant attached to the cart that read in big, bold letters, “Customer in Training.” Mommy was in the area, with her cart, and already giving instructions.

“Don’t block the doorway, honey, and follow me.” And off they headed to the produce section. This little girl was now getting instructions on how to pick various fruits and vegetables. With a smile, she carefully placed them in her cart and was off to the next aisle.

It really pleased me to see the joy that both mom and daughter were experiencing. And then I thought, Wouldn’t it be great if believers could have a sign on them stating “Christian in Training”? That’s when I heard the crash. The cereal box display was now all over the floor, and the little girl was in tears. As mom helped her pick up the boxes, she soothingly talked to her about looking where she was going and avoiding certain areas.

As believers, we truly are Christians in training. Those who trust in the Lord seek His guidance. Because He is the Savior, we want to learn what paths please Him and live according to His truths. We are to have teachable spirits. Occasionally there will be a crash or a stagnation in growth. But how wonderful is it to know that the Lord is willing to forgive us and train us through that event? Through continued study of His Word, a viable prayer life, and obedience, we are filling our carts with good fruit. As we follow Him through this life, we are being conformed more and more to our Savior.

No, we don’t need a visible sign. God has set His seal on us and put His Spirit in our hearts. [1] We start out with miniature carts. But as our knowledge and faith grows, we can navigate the big carts. He is always faithful - - through smooth pathways or crashes. We can hope in Him all day long.


GOING DEEPER:
1. What pathway is the Lord leading you down?
2. What new truth have you learned?

FURTHER READING:

Vernette and her husband Ken have been married 49 years. They have been blessed with eight grandchildren. She serves Oakwood on the prayer chain and with Family Promise.  

[1] 2 Cor 1:22