Monday, February 26, 2018


Him-Powering Perseverance (Part One)
By Karen D’Amore

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

With a daunting forecast of 9 degrees and a windchill of -28, the thought of running a five-mile race in the frigid temperatures was perplexing. In spite of several viable excuses to forego the race, something inside of me was insistent. Chilled to the bone and my enthusiasm rapidly waning, I approached the start line with a lump of reluctance in my throat. After mile one, I questioned my sanity! By mile two…icicles dripped from my eyelashes…and my feet were frozen numb. Limping into mile three with a gnawing temptation to quit, I was startled when my music quite unexpectedly turned on; the worship song became a timely reinforcement:

“So I pray…God I need You more than words can say…Right here in this moment…
You know my need…I’m gonna pray.” [1]  

PRAY!!! With discouraging obstacles consuming my focus, I had been too distracted to consider praying.

As I recalled Philippians 4:13 and prayed for the “Son” to thaw my frozen feet, I was overcome with a rush of warmth and feeling in my feet was restored. By mile four, I was cruising joyfully on praise music and prayers, until I was forced to dig deeper into my perseverance-pockets and trudge up a steep incline nearing the finish line. While emitting an exasperating “Ugh,” I contemplated the parallels between the race course impediments, and those challenges we encounter along the course of life.

For me, my finish-line victory resonated with perseverance: being steadfast in doing something despite the difficulty. [2] The challenging hurdles along the twisting, turning course certainly symbolized how difficult, dangerous, debilitating and discouraging life can often be. When I fixated on those uncomfortable challenges, I wanted to quit the race! But when God supernaturally intervened, nudging me to pray and draw strength from Him…He empowered me with everything necessary to press on to the finish.

Later, from the warmth of my comfortable couch, I pondered the Greek translation of perseverance which means “to remain under.” I remained under those miserable conditions for the duration of the race. And, while attempting to endure them in my own strength, I was defeated. As God reinforced the importance of utter dependence on Him, I learned that when we God-up…instead of give-up…God will show up!  Scripture informs us that in this life, we will face trials and troubles. However, God never intended for us to tackle them in our own strength. [3]

When you encounter those difficult obstacles along the course of life, never give up…but instead God-up…and experience Him-powering perseverance!

GOING DEEPER:
1. What difficulties are weighing you down? Who/what is your power source?

FURTHER READING:

Married to Dan, Karen, a retired police officer, currently works as a Manicurist at Craig Berns Salon and as an instructor in the Cosmetology Department at WCTC. Karen also serves on the Welcoming Team at Oakwood.

[1]  Sanctus Real. “Pray.” Run, Birdwing Music, 2013. Listen here:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=a_J4I4gsvYA


[3] John 16:33