Thursday, November 6, 2008

Be Careful What You Ask For!
By Karen D’Amore

“You do not have because you do not ask God.”
James 4:2b

A few weeks ago, my full schedule of plans was thwarted by a debilitating sinus infection. With a writing deadline fast approaching, I was beyond the capacity to secrete even a morsel of creative anything. Devoting Sunday to a writing marathon, I asked several friends to pray that either my clogged sinus pipes would be set free or that Jesus would enable me to cough up something from Him.

With only a sneeze and a prayer, I locked myself in my room and prayed for something “moving.” My sinuses continued to be swollen to capacity and there wasn’t even one sign of relief, but to my amazement, my fingertips danced gracefully across the keyboard. For hours, I wrote and I wrote and I wrote…as the manna of inspiration leaked steadily from the Holy Spirit. At 1:00 a.m., with my writing commitments fulfilled, I stepped away from the computer. The instant I climbed into bed my sinuses cried out “open sesame” as the clogged pipes finally broke loose. Like a vacation in Niagara Falls the gushers overfloweth…and like the Energizer bunny…they kept going and going and going!

My commitment to a writing deadline was no surprise to God. He also knew that, on my own, I was incapable of producing anything worthy of print in light of my nagging physical condition. As much as I was tempted to find an excuse to blow off my writing, Jesus wanted me to depend solely on Him for everything needed to complete the task.

God’s timing is always perfect and I believe that He allows hiccups at opportune times in order to drive us deeper into Himself. In our weakness, He shows Himself strong. Isaiah 55:8 tells us,”For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.” My logic would have had me in perfect health this week, but God’s way was to have me weak and incapable so that I would come to Him on my knees asking for everything I needed.

With my sinus pressure relieved, I’m now breathing easy! And, Jesus has become my greatest humidifier! When the congestion of life clogs your abilities…how do you spell RELIEF? How about J-E-S-U-S.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What are you in need of right now that you know you can’t muster up on your own? Physical health? Emotional strength? Intellectual stamina? Ask God to provide it for you.

FURTHER READING:
John 16:24; I Thessalonians 5:17; II Corinthians 12:10

Married to husband Dan, Karen manages Intrigue Salon & Spa, is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study, and co-leads a freshman girls’ small group.