Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What a Friend
By Elizabeth Cole

“I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead I have called you friends…”
John 15:10

In a poignant scene in a current Broadway musical, two best friends sing to each other, “Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.” The play on words is tender: I’ve been changed permanently; I’m a better person for having known you.

Isn’t it true with girlfriends? As we look at our lives, we can identify certain practices, thought processes, even specific words that are directly from a girlfriend. Some of my yummiest recipes aren’t really mine…I got them from Patty. Some of the best books I’ve ever read, and now recommend, weren’t my find…they were Jenny’s. Some of the words I use to counsel young moms…not mine, Kathy’s. The manner of praying…Marsha. Trying to walk faithfully…Anne. A heart’s desire to serve…Ginger. Each one has contributed something of incredible value to my life. I am blessed to call each of these women, “friend.”

And then I consider the Giver of those friendships and I am blown away. The Maker of the Galaxies, the Savior of the World, the God of Abraham…desires to call each of us “friend.” He has no need for us as His friends – He just wants us as friends. While each of my girlfriends reflects a part of Him to me, HE is the sum of all those parts. Complete. Perfect. The Ultimate Friend.

Need a Builder in your life? Go to Jesus. “May God Himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole, put you together—spirit, soul, and body…” (1 Thessalonians 5:23 MSG)

Need a Collaborator? Go to Jesus. “I pray that Christ Jesus and the church will forever bring praise to God. His power at work in us can do far more than we dare ask or imagine.” (Ephesians 3:20-21 CEV)

Is your heart’s cry for a Companion? Go to Jesus. “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5)

An Energizer? Go to Jesus. “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Do you long for a Navigator? Go to Jesus. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and don’t lean on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Oh, what a Friend we have in Jesus.

GOING DEEPER:
1. How has God specifically shown His love and desire for friendship in your life?

FURHTER READING:
John 15-16

Elizabeth is a wife, mother to three teen-aged daughters, and Director of Women’s Ministries at Oakwood Church.