Monday, November 17, 2008

A New Dance Step
By Peggy Kleckner

“My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.”
James 1:19

Oh, how I have wanted to incorporate this verse into my life! I certainly want the righteous life that God desires for me. Imagine me being quick to listen and slow to speak. I am sure those who know me best would say I have those two commands reversed! As I pondered this verse, I noted the tempo…quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. The three words jumped out at me: quick, slow, slow. They reminded me of a dance lesson I once took with my husband. It had a slightly different tempo, though: quick, quick, slow. Our teacher said those words aloud over the music, helping us to remember what our feet should be doing. She spoke the words at their tempo; quick was spoken quickly and slow was drawn out slowly. Since we were new to dancing, we moved pretty awkwardly, but as we practiced, it got easier and more natural.

As I think about this analogy, it dawns on me that Jesus invites us onto the dance floor…the dance floor of our lives…and He wants to lead us at His tempo: quick, slow, slow. As we take His hand, continuing to learn His ways, He will speak encouraging words in our ears. Oh, we will misstep often and tread on his toes repeatedly, but He is a very patient teacher. We must look into His face and trust Him to lead, for He certainly knows the right steps. We must make Him our focus, not looking down at our own feet! This dance may take a while for us to catch on to, but imagine the benefits that can come from practicing! I believe He invites each of us to learn from Him. And, dancing to the tempo just makes it a little more fun a lot easier to remember.

Quick, slow, slow….I better run. I think my dance number is being called!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Which part of this “tempo” do you need to focus on? Quick to listen? Slow to speak? Slow to become angry?
2. What are some things you could do to make sure you are allowing Jesus to lead you in that area?
3. If you think it would be helpful, post this verse in an obvious place today to remind you of your “dance steps.”

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 32:8-11; Proverbs 16:20; Proverbs 23:12

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - two sons and two stepsons. She is the Co-Coordinator of Oakwood’s Wednesday p.m. Bible Study.