Monday, November 24, 2008

Follow the Leader
By Jen Wollner

“…I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go…”
Psalm 143:8

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, many of us have “turkey” on the brain. Well, at our house, we also have a few in our backyard! One day I noticed a small group just outside my window, so I stopped to watch as they peacefully wandered around, picking at the grass for food. Almost immediately, I took note that one of the turkeys wasn’t like the others. She stood out because she was slightly bigger and she didn’t have her head down looking for food—she was standing tall, slowly gazing in every direction, keeping a close eye on the other turkeys. I soon deduced that she must be the mommy turkey!

After the little turkeys had gotten their fill, they headed in the direction of some tall grasses that separate my property from my neighbor’s. Suddenly, they all stopped. They were waiting for their mommy! They stood at the edge of the grass, looking for her signal. After many minutes, when she was sure it was safe, the mother turkey entered the grass first, with all the little ones following behind. They didn’t stray as far as they had in the short grass and they didn’t have their heads down the entire time. They stayed close to her, constantly looking up to see where she was going. At last they got to my neighbor’s lawn on the other side, and they went back to their carefree grazing.

It might sound crazy, but I believe that our Heavenly Father is a lot like a mother turkey! When our life is calm, we might not pay much attention to Him, but He’s always there, just a few steps away, gently guiding us and staying alert to danger. And, when our lives turn upside down, He, again, leads us, until we make it through the valley and come out safe and sound on the other side. I wonder, though, do you and I respond to our Heavenly Father the way the young turkeys did with their mother? Do we trust Him to protect us and guide us, in good times and bad? Are we always aware of His presence and do we constantly seek Him for direction, whether our path is smooth or rough?

As I walked away from the window, I couldn’t help but think: How did this mother turkey know where to go and how to protect her children? And then it hit me—she was simply following her Leader.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What situation in your life do you need to follow the Lord more closely and trust Him more fully to take care of you?
2. What steps can you take to make sure you keep your eyes on Him?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 23; 2 Thessalonians 3:3

Jen and her husband are busily parenting three children under the age of 6. Jen heads Oakwood’s Fresh Start ministry.