Tuesday, November 11, 2008

“Dyeing” to be Famous
By Karen D’Amore

“Now, you are no longer a slave but God’s own child.”
Galatians 4:7

Managing a hair salon affords me limitless opportunities to transform my hair. A recent color change had me mingling with several clients who were waiting for their color (dye) to process. Baking under infrared heat lamps, our little group of “foil heads” looked like some sort of sci-fi social club. My plans to spend some time reading my Bible were derailed by the gawking and giggling over the headlines from several popular tabloids. From “Babies, Lies & Scandal” to “Celebrity Feuds of the Week,” these ladies seemed to know more about the personal lives of those in Tinsel Town then I know about my own family!

Their focus shifted from their magazines to me when they learned that I was from California. Did you ever see anyone famous? Did you ever meet any stars? Did you get any autographs? Inquiring minds wanted to know everything! The truth was that I did know several celebrities, some very well, but none of us need to have a personal relationship with someone famous to see that many of these people we all glamorize and idolize have lives that are full of sadness. Just look at the headlines: Addictions, divorce, adultery, eating disorders, suicide, loneliness, emptiness and depression. It’s obvious that fame and money do not translate into happiness!

Clutching my unopened Bible, I noticed that a drop of red dye had dripped from my hair onto the cover. Sadly, no one was “dyeing” to know about THE Most Famous One…the One who had died for them. Had I forgotten to add Jesus to my impressive list of famous contacts? Had I forgotten to mention that I have been adopted into the family of God? Did I fail to share that I have a personal relationship with the Creator of the Universe, the Miracle Worker, the Savior, the Healer, the Protector and the greatest Comforter?

We won’t see Jesus on the cover of any popular tabloids, nor will we see Him walking the red carpet or receiving an Academy Award; but we, as Christ followers, have the exciting privilege of telling others how they, too, can meet and know THE Most Famous One.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you find yourself being attracted to the lifestyles of famous or worldly people? What intrigues you?
2. What steps could you take to keep your focus on the Lord and the ways in which He wants to fulfill your needs?

FURTHER READING:
Ephesians 2:1-5; Ephesians 1:5-8; Philippians 3: 8, 20; Romans 12:2

Married to husband Dan, Karen manages Intrigue Salon & Spa, is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study, and co-leads a freshman girls’ small group.