Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Choices
By Peggy Kleckner

“This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life…”
Deuteronomy 30:19

The weathermen had been predicting deep snow. By morning, my husband had to clear the driveway before leaving for work. They said the worst of it was to happen right during my part-time work schedule. I hate making the decision of whether it is wise to stay home or not. As a woman, I analyze everything, but as a perfectionist, my decision has to be right!

So the tug between home and work began. I listened to some of the storm watch news, but they like to sensationalize, or so it seems. Next, I took the dogs for a short walk. The roads were slippery under the snow, so maybe I really should stay home. Oh, I forgot to check to see if I have any vacation days left. Oooh, is worrying about the money a “not trusting God” issue? Maybe my husband will call and tell me to stay home. Then I will simply submit and not have to make a decision. Of course, work has been slow so I don’t have much to do there and home, well, there is always plenty to do! I think I’ll take my shower, maybe he will call.

After going back and forth in my mind, I started to justify going to work and I thought, when I look outside, it really doesn’t look so bad. That’s when it hit me. The truth was, I had already been warned as to the reality on the roads and the severity of the storm. Was I going to heed this warning or ignore it?

In His infinite kindness, God gives us warnings about the realities of our lives. He has chosen to clearly communicate to us what day-to-day decisions are in our best interests, and even more importantly, what specific decision will affect our true destination beyond this life. The world wants to believe only what it sees, but God has set eternity in our hearts. Scripture teaches the stark fact that we are all sinners, destined for a real place eternally apart from God—unless we choose Christ. Acts 4:12 says of Jesus, “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.” The only way to eternal life is through Him.

I took the newscaster’s warning seriously and stayed home that snowy day. Will we take God’s warning seriously and choose Christ and His ways? And do we care enough to lovingly tell someone else?

GOING DEEPER:
1. Would you be comfortable explaining to another person what salvation through Christ means? If not, what could you do about becoming more confident?

FURTHER READING:
Luke 16:19-31; Revelation 21; Romans 1:16

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - two sons and two stepsons. She is the Co-coordinator of Oakwood’s Wednesday p.m. Bible Study.