Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fullness of Grace
By Peggy Kleckner

“The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.”
John 1:14

Have you ever heard and enjoyed the song that includes this line, “I look upon His countenance and see the fullness of His grace”? Have you wondered what that would really look like? To look into the face of Jesus, the one who came to redeem you? Would you be willing to look into His face?

John wrote that Jesus was full of grace and truth. I guess I have always dwelled too much on just the truth side. Perhaps you are the same. We want to know the rules and work really hard to follow them, so that He will be pleased with us and we can earn His love. Well, that doesn’t fit with the fact that He is also filled with grace—unmerited or unearned favor.

So, again I ask the question—what would it be like to look into the countenance of Jesus and see the fullness of His grace? Allow me to share my encounter with a face full of grace. I went to church one morning hurting from an argument. The wound was fairly fresh and I was afraid that if anyone looked too closely they would see my pain and it would all spill out, so I headed to my seat alone. A girlfriend caught up to me, realized my pain, didn’t ask me to explain, but took my face gently in both of her hands, tilting it up toward hers until I was making eye contact with her, and gently said, “I love you.” What did I see? I saw warmth and understanding. I didn’t see pity. It wasn’t a quick look. It was one of those “reach down into your soul” moments. She followed that with a warm hug. She was so gentle, so full of grace. Without her being aware of it, God was using her to take another brick out of my self-made walls and I would never be the same.

So, that’s what the fullness of His grace looked like to me that day. I wonder what it will look like for you…

Let’s be willing to receive God’s grace, His unearned and unmerited favor.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What in your life are you ashamed of? Are you willing to ask Him for forgiveness, knowing and believing that you will be met with grace?
2. Who has God placed in your life to help you to look up into His face? Are you allowing that person to help you?

FURTHER READING:
John 14:8-14; John 8:1-11; Matthew 9:20-22

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - two sons and two stepsons. She is the Co-coordinator of Oakwood’s Wednesday p.m. Bible Study.