Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Flouride Mom
By Becky Morrow

“While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this they asked his disciples, ‘Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?’”
Matthew 9:10-11

My daughter and I went to our first story time at the library last spring. I made small talk with another woman as the carpeted area began to fill with moms and kids. I always enjoy people watching, and story time at the library offered plenty of opportunities. One woman really stood out. Among the quiet chatting and polite introductions, the “Fluoride Mom” could be heard going on and on in a really loud voice about the pros and cons of fluoride. The woman she was talking to looked like she was desperate to talk about anything but fluoride. The Fluoride Mom was clearly the awkward person in the group.

When Leah and I came to story time the next week, I purposely sat away from the Fluoride Mom. She had brought pictures of her son to show to anyone at story time who would look. I purposely didn’t put myself in a position to engage her at all. I was basically acting like I was back in junior high, not wanting to be seen with the girl who isn’t cool.

Did I think I was too good for her? I didn’t even know any of the other women and haven’t seen any of them since then, so I’m pretty sure I didn’t impress anyone. Would it have killed me to sit next to Curt’s mom (her other name) and ask her questions about her pictures? No, and I can bet that she’s the one Jesus would have sat next to. He would have looked her in the eye, asked her good questions and loved her.

Jesus is really clear about how we are to treat the unlovely. When He walked this world, the unlovely included the tax collectors. In my little world, the unlovely aren’t necessarily the starving, physically broken and homeless; they are the awkward and overly opinionated, hungry for someone to talk to and aching to be understood. Oh, am I glad that our God loved me enough to be my friend in the midst of all my unloveliness.

I’m on the lookout for The Flouride Mom…she has some pictures I’d love to see!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Who are the unlovely people in your life? Why are they unlovely to you?
2. What are a few specific ways that you can reach out to them? Even friendliness can open a door to share your faith with another person.

FURTHER READING:
James 2:1-5; Matthew 8:1-3; Mark 7:31-35

Becky is a wife and mother to her two-year-old and newborn daughters. As Oakwood-supported missionaries, she and her husband Aaron serve with InterVarsity at UW Platteville.