Thursday, January 29, 2009

Godly Tests
By Karen D’ Amore

“Remember how the Lord your God led you through the wilderness for forty years, humbling you and testing you to prove your character,
and to find out whether or not you would really obey His commands.”
Deuteronomy 8:2 (NLV)

It was New Year’s Eve morning and as I excitedly anticipated the evenings’ festivities, my excitement suddenly turned to gloom. Following my normal morning routine of inspecting the large “railroad-track-like” scar racing across my forehead, I was disturbed by what was staring back at me in the mirror. A small lump had surfaced near the old incision. Like deja vu, it took me back a couple of years prior, when the cancer first appeared in the exact same way.

The sinking feeling in my stomach nearly capsized my spirit and threatened to sink my day. Distracted by the possibility of a returning cancer, I was no longer looking forward to the holiday festivities. Curling up by the fire, the Lord met me in a quiet corner of my heart. I was reminded of the lessons He had burned deep within my being through that first painful trial with cancer. I recalled how I initially chose fear over faith and how that fear drove me into hiding, denial and the avoidance of medical attention, thus prolonging the cancer detection. But most importantly, God reminded me of how He faithfully carried me through that fiery trial.

In a moment of intense soul-searching, I had to ask myself some important questions. Had I truly allowed Him to refine my character and my faith? Could I look back and draw strength from the lessons learned? Could I trust Him to carry me now, as He faithfully did before? The answer was most certainly “yes!” And as I now chose faith over fear, I was able to embrace the New Year with hope, encouragement and strength.

The next morning came quickly and I awoke ready to see a doctor, and to face this new trial head on…in the strength of my Lord.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What difficult trials have you faced in your life? In what ways did the Lord carry you through them? What did you learn from Him as a result of that painful time?
2. Think of a struggle that you are dealing with today. How can you apply “old” lessons learned to your current situation? What encouragement do you get as you remember God’s faithfulness of the past?

FURTHER READING:
1 Corinthians 3:13; Proverbs 17:3; 1 Thessalonians 2:4

Married to husband Dan, Karen manages Intrigue hair salon, is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study, and co-leads a freshman girls’ small group.