Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Lessons from a Snowflake
By Jennie Pierce

“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”
Psalm 139:14

God really does have a unique sense of humor and impeccable timing. As I was waiting to pick up my daughter from school, it began to snow. Large, light, fluffy snowflakes began twirling and swirling down from the sky, so huge they looked like cotton balls.

Ironically, that same morning I’d already made it quite clear on my Facebook status that I had an innate displeasure toward snow. Yet, oddly, I found myself enamored with this white, flaky display. I even found it to be quite beautiful. As each one landed on my windshield, I passed the time away by studying each flake’s unique design, awed by the fact that there are no two snowflakes alike! Once again, I was reminded of my own unique design as the result of a loving, creative, detailed Creator.

You and I were never an afterthought with God; He knew us before the foundations of the world, before we were ever conceived in our mother’s womb! And, He meticulously designed each one of us. In fact, “God’s character goes into the creation of every person. When you feel worthless or even begin to hate yourself, remember that God’s Spirit is ready and willing to work within you. We should have as much respect for ourselves as our Maker has for us.” (1) We are His special creation, designed in His image…and He finds pleasure in us!

As my daughter exited the school building, she was elated to see the snow. Instantly, she extended her arms out and upward, spinning around, as if to receive every single snowflake with a grateful hug. She opened the van door with a gleeful, excited giggle exclaiming, “I just love snow! It makes me so happy!”

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you realize just how YOU-nique you really are? You are a beautiful treasure and you bring delight to your Heavenly Father. As you spend time with Him today, ask Him to show you the ways in which He made you special.

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 139; Genesis 1:27, 31

(1) Life Application Study Bible; NIV; Tyndale House Publishers; 2005; page 973

Jennie is a wife and mother of three. She is active in Oakwood’s musical worship ministry and works part-time for a chiropractor.