Friday, January 15, 2010

A New Year and a Fresh Start!
By Susan Klein

“Because of the Lord’s great love, we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”
Lamentations 3:22-23

It’s a few weeks into the New Year...how are you doing with those New Year’s resolutions? Are you one of the many who’ve resolved to get in better physical shape this year? Or, perhaps your resolution is of a more spiritual nature, vowing to spend more time in the Word or with the Lord each day. Or have you decided to give up a bad habit or make better financial decisions? Want to know my resolution???

I resolved to not make any New Year’s resolutions! Yep, you heard me! Every year I make a list of things I want to do better or habits I want to give up, only to set myself up for inevitable failure and disappointment. Oh, I go at it strong for weeks, sometimes even months. But then, I gradually start to slip back into those old habits again. I end up frustrated and discouraged, usually giving up altogether. So, this year I choose to not make any resolutions whatsoever. Now, before you start thinking I have a defeatist attitude, let me share with you what I’m going to do instead.

This year, rather than focus on my “to do list,” I am going to live each day as if it were a blank slate, or a “fresh start” from God. I am going to ask my Heavenly Father what He wants me to focus on for that specific day, not beating myself up over my failed attempts from the day before. I am going to choose to live in His Will, trusting that He will equip me to accomplish what He wants me to do and not worrying about striving and failing in my own efforts. I’m also going to cling to the promise that His compassions, or mercies, are new every morning! He doesn’t hold it against me when I slip up on any given day. Rather, He lovingly and mercifully gives me the opportunity to begin afresh each morning.

“Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgressions of the remnant of His inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl our iniquities into the depths of the sea” (Micah 7:18,19).

GOING DEEPER:
1. What resolutions are you struggling to keep? Are they on your “to do list,” or are they things God wants you to be focusing on? Ask Him what His will is for you, then trust Him to work it out through you.

FURTHER READING:
Philippians 1:6; Ephesians 2:8-10; Psalm 33:10-11

Susan is a wife and mother of two. She is the Coordinator of Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and one of its teachers.