Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Proper Footing
By Susan Klein

“Stand firm then...with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.”
Ephesians 6:14a, 15

Winter has arrived in Wisconsin! We’ve already had our first snowstorm resulting in school and business closings. Mountains of icy white are piled high around the sidewalks and the temperature has dipped to a frigid zero. Time to get out the heavy artillery to battle these conditions!

Let’s see, insulated gloves -- check, thick scarf -- check, ear muffs (I don’t do hats!) -- check, warm, dry boots...hmm. Wasn’t I supposed to buy new ones last year? Guess I never got to it. Oh great! Now everything but my feet will be warm and dry. Okay, Ill have to buy new ones. They’ll need thick treads so I don’t slip, warm lining so my toes don’t freeze, and good stitching so the water and snow don’t seep in.

It pays to be careful in selecting the right footwear. We wouldn’t wear stilettos on a hike, nor would we choose flip-flops for shoveling snow. When we are deciding which shoes to put on, we take several factors into consideration, such as; the weather, the event, and what other clothing we’ll be wearing.

How many of us take this much time to consider our spiritual footwear in the morning? Scripture talks about putting on the full armor of God. That includes shoes! We can’t just rush out into battle with our breastplate, belt and helmet on and think we will be protected. Even equipped with our sword and shield, if we didn’t have proper footing, we could stumble, making us an easy target for the enemy! This passage in Ephesians says our feet must be fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace if we are to stand firm. That means, I must be in God’s Word, reading it and learning from it to know how to defend myself from the attacks of the evil one. I must be ready so I can be on the offensive, not the defensive. And if I am ready, I will have the peace that the gospel delivers. I will be able to walk confidently into my day, prepared to meet whatever dangerous conditions might await me. Even more, I can share that peace with my fellow soldiers!

Just as ancient Roman soldiers put hobnails in the soles of their sandals to give them better footing for battle, let’s make sure our feet are properly fitted with the Word of God before we leave the house in the morning!

GOING DEEPER:
1. As you put your shoes on each morning, ask yourself, “Have I made my feet ready with the gospel of peace?”
2. Spend some time in God’s Word focused on specific passages that equip you with a proper battle plan so that you might have peace in your day. (See below.)

FURTHER READING:
2 Corinthians 10:3-6; 2 Timothy 2:1-4; Hebrews 10:32-39

Susan is a wife and mother of two. She is the Coordinator of Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and one of its teachers.