Friday, April 22, 2011

THE Bridge
By Karen D’Amore

“Jesus answered, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’”
John 14:6

When I lived on Naples Island, the only access to the city on the other side of the bay was by crossing the Alamitos Bay Bridge. Throughout the years, in my travels to and from home, I crossed that bridge hundreds of times. Of my innumerable passes across that bridge, one pass would change my life forever. Miserable and empty…living a life in darkness and separation from God…I stubbornly resisted and distanced myself from The (only) One who could fill that empty void. Late one night, in His desire to bridge that gap of dark separation, Jesus sovereignly met me on the crest of that bridge.

Blinding headlights barreled down on me…twisted metal…shattered glass and spewing gasoline engulfed me. A drunk driver, traveling 65 miles per hour, never hit his brakes before striking me. I should have died that night on that bridge, but God’s miraculous intervention spared my life. Humbled by His tenacious pursuit of my soul, on my knees atop that bridge, I surrendered my heart and life to Him.

“This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came through Christ Jesus. God presented Jesus as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in His blood” (Romans 3: 22-25a). Sin separated mankind from a holy God, but God sent His only Son to die upon the rough-hewn timbers of a cross for the sins of all mankind. Jesus bridged the gap between man and God, becoming the only access for mankind to Him.

A bridge that once served as my only access to a city across the bay became a metaphorical landmark. On that bridge, Jesus re-directed my life from darkness to The Light…connecting me with the only access to eternal life. Jesus…THE Bridge of Life met me on a bridge where He saved my life.

Crossing a bridge changed everything in my life. What side of THE Bridge are you on?
GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you a “bridge” or a “barrier” for someone in need of a personal relationship with Christ?
2. Have you crossed The Bridge and trusted Jesus as your Bridge of Life? He’s just a prayer away!

FURTHER READING:
Acts 16:31; Ephesians 2:15-16; 1 Timothy 1:15

Karen is married to Dan and is a retired police officer who is currently a Nail Technician at Craig Berns Salon. She is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and a volunteer at the Wildlife In Need Center.