Friday, April 29, 2011

To Him Be the Glory
By Jeannine Sawall
“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”
Ephesians 3:20-21

Having grown up in the church, oftentimes people have asked me to share my “testimony.” For years, I felt I didn’t have anything to say. And while my childhood was not picture-perfect, I never got involved in anything “bad.” I was the girl who didn’t “smoke, drink, cuss or chew or went with boys who wanted to.” I didn’t have one of those “life changing, I’ve been delivered” testimonies to share. I really felt my personal faith-story was pretty “boring.”

After sharing these feelings with a friend who has a rather dramatic “life-changing” testimony, she admonished me. She told me that just because God had kept me from much of the pain and drama many people experience in childhood and early adulthood didn’t mean my testimony was somehow less powerful than those with dramatic, life changing results. In fact, it was only because of Jesus, I was where I was. It was then I realized my “boring” testimony was only by the grace of God - - to Him be the glory! There were so many other paths I could have traveled had God not continuously guided me through the years, but He did. I didn’t deserve His presence, yet He gave of Himself abundantly. That’s huge! It is only because of Jesus, I was the “good-girl” - - all the glory belonged to Him! It’s only because of Jesus, I traveled the safer roads that I did - - all the glory belonged to Him!

Maybe you feel your testimony isn’t “dramatic.” Do you love the Lord? That’s dramatic! Nothing about us draws us to Him…it’s only His Holy Spirit at work in our life that makes it possible - - all the glory belongs to Him! Maybe you need to simply look for God in your life. Wherever He is actively working to break, prune, grow or shape you is where your testimony can be found. And the surprising thing is that your testimony isn’t as much about you, as it is about God’s work IN you - - to Him be the glory! Your testimony counts. It. Is. Powerful. It is to be shared for the glory of God. It will change your life and others’ lives - - to God be the glory!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you amazed by the incredible work God has done in your life? Ask Him to show you all the ways He has/is working in your life to His glory.
2. And then ask Him to show you whom He wants you to share it with…for His glory!

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 138:5; John 1:14; 2 Cor. 4:6

Jeannine is a wife and active mother of four boys. She works in property management and is a part of the Special Events team for Oakwood’s We Women ministries.