Friday, April 1, 2011

I’ve Been Had!
By Carolyn Hulliberger

“Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.”
Luke 5:16

I really dislike April Fool’s Day.

My children (and, coincidentally, my husband) are at the perfect age to delight in the annual ritual of tricking those around them. I’ve gotten pretty good at not falling for the little things like checking to see if my shoes are tied, or not looking to see if something is on my shirt or the “what’s on your face?” gag. The reason I don’t like April Fool’s Day is because I am a horrible liar. I can’t hide anything from anyone, so I don’t like being tricked – it’s just not fair!

But, like most women, I can multi-task! So, a couple of years ago on the first of April, when the supper dishes were being finished, the homework questions were being answered, and I was gently cajoling my son to lay still and relax while I put drops in his eyes, I was weak and distracted. My husband told me he was going outside to clean up the yard just as my daughter Shannon cried, “Mom, the dog just had an accident on the floor!” I’m sorry to say, I hit overload. My response was immediate - - “Shannon, grab the paper towels! Shelby, get OUTSIDE! Brett, stay STILL! WHERE IS YOUR FATHER?!!!”

At that point, my husband came in laughing. I shouted, “What’s so funny? Help me with this!” He shrugged and replied, “It’s just a little water.” The other members of my family all found themselves hilariously entertained. Turned out, Shelby was completely innocent and the puddle on the floor was not at all her fault. The poor dog had to suffer my tongue-lashing and my family had a good laugh at my expense.

But I got to thinking later, how often I get so busy in my multi-tasking that I become vulnerable to an attack by our enemy. My Bible time gets skipped or I neglect to be in conversation with my Lord because the here and now is so much in my face, needing my attention. All of these distractions threaten to steal my intimacy with God. When they become too much, I need to recommit myself to getting back to being focused on God.

The Bible tells us many times that Jesus went to lonely and solitary places to pray and be with His Father. So after He multi-tasked in teaching the disciples, healing the sick, feeding the crowds and fending off the Pharisees, Jesus had to make sure His focus was right. Let’s follow His example today…don’t fall prey to being the fool!

GOING DEEPER:
1. What do your quiet times with God look like? How can you follow Jesus’ example more closely?

FURTHER READING:
Luke 6:12; 1 Peter 5:8

Along with caring for her husband, two children and the dog, Carolyn is an Office Representative for State Farm Insurance, serves in Student Ministries with seventh grade girls, and is the treasurer for Women’s Ministries.