Thursday, April 14, 2011

Power Source
By Jennie Pierce

“But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’” 2 Corinthians 12:9

In my feeble attempt to get in shape, I decided to join my friend at her house and take advantage of her exercise equipment. Immediately, I chose the elliptical machine, quickly hopped on, and began bobbing up and down. I was going great guns…for a whole two minutes…when I realized that not only was this exhausting work, but it was unusually difficult. I knew it had been awhile since I last attempted an exercise routine, but I certainly didn’t remember the elliptical being this hard. Upon further inspection, my friend and I realized that the machine’s control plate was battery operated, and there were no batteries! Once batteries were installed, I could make the necessary adjustments to the machine’s resistance level and speed. Naturally, my workout went much more smoothly.

Life is often lived in a similar way. As we try to do life, we find it to be challenging, maybe even more strenuous than we remember. Sometimes we continue trying to live despite the resistance, wearing ourselves out too prematurely. In our eagerness to succeed, we hop on and attempt to go places in our own strength, all the while not taking advantage of life’s true Power Source.

This is not how our Heavenly Father intended for us to live life. As our Creator, He is our Sustainer, the real Source of Power. It is when we are weak, that He is truly strong. In our weakness, we are able to experience His all-sufficient grace, and He receives the glory! If you are His child, the power of God rests upon you. There is no reason for fear, consternation or distress. For this God of Power will strengthen and uphold His children when we call upon Him and when we hope in Him. It’s because of Him, and through Him, that we can do all things. And before we know it, we’ll be walking, running, even soaring to new heights of power-filled life, from the Power Source Himself.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you feel weak and discouraged? In what areas are you living in your own strength? Stop living in the flesh and live supernaturally through the power that only Jesus can be for you.

FURTHER READING:
Isaiah 40:31, 41:10, 68:35; Ephesians 3:16; Philippians 4:13

Jennie is a wife and mother of three. She is active in Oakwood’s musical worship ministry and works part-time for a chiropractor.