Thursday, August 11, 2011

Active Love
By Jen Wollner

“A friend loves at all times…”
Proverbs 17:17

The last several years have been a rollercoaster ride for me. I have faced one trial after another, including medical problems of my own and my children. It’s been difficult and I have had many moments when I felt completely alone in my struggles. Of course, I wasn’t really alone. The Lord was always right there with me. He encouraged my heart and showered miracles and blessings upon me. His wonders were too many to recount!

One of those wonders is my girlfriends. They have supported and loved me through the worst of times. They have rejoiced and cheered with me in the best of times. They have overwhelmed me with calls, visits, hugs, meals, gifts, tears, laughter and, most importantly, prayer. They couldn’t ease my pain, but they knew the One who could, so they prayed to Him on my behalf when I didn’t have the strength to do it on my own. I will never know how many hours they spent on their knees, beseeching our Heavenly Father to rain down His grace and mercy upon me. These women were, and still are, priceless and irreplaceable in my life.

Scripture tells us that when we go through trials, God Himself comforts us and shows us His compassion, so that when others go through difficult times, we know how to comfort them with that same godly love. The Lord definitely filled my girlfriends with compassion and used them to comfort me in my time of need. I have experienced His love through them and, consequently, I am learning how to better extend that love to others. They have shown me what it means to actively love someone…just as Jesus Himself demonstrated time and time again in His life here on Earth.

God promises to be with us always…in good times and in bad. His love for us is higher than the heavens. And one way He demonstrates His kindness is to use our girlfriends to touch our hearts and lives. God IS love…and godly girlfriends are living reflections of it.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Think about a girlfriend in your life who has loved and supported you during difficult circumstances. In what ways did she meet your needs?
2. Ask God to show you who in your life needs you to be His love and compassion to them. What specific ways could you reach out?

FURTHER READING:
2 Corinthians 1:3-4; 1 John 4:7-8, 12, 16, 19

Jen and her husband are busily parenting three children between the ages of eight and four. She serves on the leadership team for Mission: Hope, Oakwood’s orphan care ministry.