Friday, August 26, 2011


Fixing our Eyes on Jesus
By Susan Klein

“But my eyes are fixed on you, O Sovereign Lord”
Psalm 141:8a
 

I pulled into the parking lot of the grocery store the other day, dreading the task at hand. “Fill a few bags with groceries, pay an arm and a leg, and return next week to do the same. Ugh!” As I shifted into park, I noticed the approaching black clouds in the not-too-far distance. My already sour attitude was rapidly heading south! “Great! It’ll be raining by the time I get back out to the car to load up the trunk. I’ll be soaked and so will all my bags!”

I reached over to feel for my umbrella under the passenger seat when I noticed the red pickup truck parked in front of me. Actually, it was the Golden lab in the driver’s seat of the pickup that caught my attention. Though it’s hardly unusual to see a dog in a parked car, there was something about his demeanor that caused me to stop and take notice. He was sitting, statuesque, with his eyes fixed on the front door of the store. Not a muscle twitched in his perfectly-still body. Every person coming out met with his watchful gaze. Occasionally his eyes would turn to look in the direction of some unfamiliar sound, but only for the briefest of seconds, always returning immediately to the store’s entrance. At one point, a man even got into the car next to the truck but the dog never flinched. Faithfully he watched, patiently he waited, eagerly anticipating the return of his master. He never left the driver’s seat, he never stopped watching the door. His eyes were
fixed!

As I pondered this scene before me, I realized that my eyes had been fixed on everything but my Master that morning. The grocery shopping, the expense, the coming rain...I was letting every little irritation cloud my vision. How could I be so blind? “Oh Lord, forgive me for fixing my eyes on the insignificant things, and not on you!” I took a deep breath, sat back, and said a little prayer before leaving my car:

“Thank you for putting this dog in my path today, Lord. I’m sorry I haven’t had my eyes on you. Help me to not get distracted by life’s little issues. But even when I occasionally do, like today, let me turn quickly back to focus on You. May I be reminded of this faithful canine, casting aside all other distractions and eagerly awaiting the return of his master.”

GOING DEEPER:
1. What are your eyes presently fixed on?
2. Do you need to clear the haze of distractions so that you can see the Lord more clearly? If so, what can you do today to be more focused on Him?

FURTHER READING:
Hebrews 12:1-2
 

Susan is our Tuesday Morning Women’s Bible Study Coordinator and one of its teachers.  She is also involved in youth outreach ministry.