Friday, August 12, 2011

God’s Masterpiece
By Karen D’Amore

“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things He planned for us long ago.”
Ephesians 2:10 NLT
 

One of my favorite pastimes is strolling through art exhibits, marveling at the creative works of the Michelangelo’s of this world. When I lived in California, I spent many a summer’s day at the Laguna Beach Sawdust Festival. This popular art festival drew hundreds of local artists who displayed their varying and unique forms of arts and crafts. Many of the artists were also onsite creating their works in the presence of the spectators.

It was amazing to watch the artists transform their “raw materials” into one-of-a-kind masterpieces. Transformed from blank canvases were beautiful paintings, from pieces of scrap metal, bold sculptures, and from blocks of clay, brilliant vases. To an artist, each creation is unique, formed within the artist’s mind before it is actually produced.

There is another Artist—a Grand Master—who from the dust of the ground formed you…His masterpiece. You are a unique work of divine art, and like an original painting or sculpture, you are a one-of-a-kind. The Psalmist wrote, “Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! You watched me as I was formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.”

The Bible says you are a special creation of God Almighty; made in His own image so that your life could make a significant difference for His Kingdom. God doesn’t create anything without value. He is the ultimate Craftsman. And He has a unique and custom-designed plan in store for all of those who have put their trust in Jesus.

When I reflect on my own flaws and imperfections, it is difficult to see myself as God’s masterpiece. But I am encouraged when I realize that when God looks at me, He sees the finished product. As no masterpiece is created instantaneously, we too are a work in progress. In this life here on earth, God will act as the painter who wipes away colors that don’t belong on the canvas and the potter who molds and shapes the clay into the desired shapes. He will labor to transform us into works of “notable excellence.” And on that day when we arrive in heaven, we will see ourselves as He sees us…His Masterpiece.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you struggle to see yourself or your purpose on earth as special? Ask God to reveal to you the unique plan He has for you.

FURTHER READING:
Jeremiah 1:5; Psalm 139:13-16, 138:8; Philippians 1:6
 

Married to Dan, Karen is a retired police officer who is currently a Nail Technician at Craig Berns Salon.  She’s a leader for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and a volunteer at the Wildlife In Need Center.