Monday, August 22, 2011

He Is Our Help
By Pamela Blattner

“Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.”
Ephesians 4:32

Recently, my girlfriend and I drove to the cinema to watch “The Help.” The movie was exceptional and a call for us to remember that we are all equal in God’s eyes. Vivid memories of the pre-civil rights movement were stirred up again for me through the movie that takes place in Jackson, Mississippi.  

It was a testimony of the humor, sadness, joy and courage of girlfriends. It touched on the evil and the good done by white and black, showing the limitations of our humanity. It also spoke of what racial reconciliation should be based on: biblical truth, with a strong God-centered demonstration of the gospel and sovereignty of God. 

The movie’s characters exemplified many godly ways to confront conflict. Because disagreements have various causes, it was refreshing to see them begin with seeking God to learn the source in each situation.   

The main character maintained a quiet spirit. Often my natural response is to defend myself when I’m attacked, instead of choosing silence. By letting the other person talk, she will most likely reveal the root of the conflict. God will provide us with wise answers.  When I think of it this way, God protects me from becoming bitter with Him, or critical, resentful, and angry with others.   

At times, I have to ask the Holy Spirit if I’m at fault. When He shows me I’m wrong, I may have to ask for forgiveness. When I feel unjustly condemned, God is teaching me to say, “I appreciate that you felt okay to tell me this, and I’ll prayerfully evaluate this and ask God to show me if or where I’ve been wrong.” (Or something along those lines!)

The women who are “the help” in the movie demonstrated that humility is always the right approach to criticism. This is the hard part, ladies: forgiving the one responsible for the conflict. Even if the analysis was totally wrong, forgive him or her for bringing strife into your life. Jesus provided the perfect example of this. While being unjustly crucified, He prayed, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing” (Luke 23:34). 

You always can ask God to reveal His purpose for allowing the conflict. You may not know immediately why God is allowing this in your life, but in time, you will be able to look back and see what He accomplished through each situation you faced. A seasoned saint, Ken Chandler, once told me that pain, suffering, and heartache mature us spiritually and equip us to help others more effectively.   

Truth has power to change what's wrong…and God is our ever-present help in the midst of every conflict. 

GOING DEEPER: 
What principle of biblical truth-telling and conflict resolution can you apply today?   

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 46:1,141:3; Luke 12:12 

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and three grandchildren.  She serves Oakwood through its Prayer Ministry and Touched Twice Ministry.