Tuesday, November 8, 2011

God’s “Special Ops”
By Pamela Blattner

“Praise the LORD, you his angels, you mighty ones who do his bidding, who obey His word.”
Psalm 103:20

Angels are God’s ministering spirits sent to those of us who are heirs of His promise. They are God’s “special ops” forces of the spirit world. Their job is to carry out His will, according to His good plans for each of us. At times, angels are the means by which God fulfills His desires for us or delivers on His promises to us personally in our everyday circumstances.

In the early nineties, my husband and I gave God’s protecting angels plenty to do…particularly one summer day I can recall! Back when he worked at Columbia Hospital, I phoned my husband and told him I’d pick him up for lunch. I just wanted to share some time with him because he was working so hard, both at work and at home. He met me outside on that sunny day, and we drove to Lake Drive, parking the car on the side of the road. With waves crashing on the rocks, I handed him his sack lunch…seatbelts unfastened…facing each other. Seconds later, there was a squeal of tires and BOOOOOOOOOOOOM! Our car flew forward as it was hit from the back by a huge old Ford LTD. Our Toyota Celica’s back seats were no more and it was totaled. The back of the car was crushed into the front seat where we were pinned. I passed out.

Before the EMT’s arrived, I came to, though I was unable to open my eyes. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard a man’s voice talking to my husband. Eyes still shut, I whispered, “Where’s God? I need Him.” The man told me God was always with me. I felt calm. Within seconds, he disappeared.

The ambulance arrived and quickly took us to Columbia’s emergency room. Dick had splintered glass in his arms. The old car didn’t have airbags and the doctors couldn’t believe that we weren’t seriously hurt. CAT Scans, MRI’s and x-rays revealed we were good to go. We left emergency with nothing more than some aches and pain.

I know that man was one of God’s host of angels surrounding our car. And I can’t help but join His angels in praising the Lord for His kindness. God speaks, and His “special ops” bring His words to pass.

GOING DEEPER:
1. How does knowing God “commands His angels concerning you” impact your love for Him?
2. Have you joined His angels, or a friend, in praise recently for times you’ve been spared harm?

FURTHER READING:
Hebrews 1:14; Psalm 91:11; Numbers 20:16

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and three grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Prayer Ministry and Touched Twice Ministry

http://www.billygraham.org/articlepage.asp?articleid=3707
https://www.cia.gov/about-cia/index.html
http://www.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm#search