Thursday, November 24, 2011

In Everything Give Thanks
By Lisa Boyer

“In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NASB)

In April of 2010, my husband and I received bad news…my little Subaru Impreza Wagon was sick and wasn’t worth fixing. Worse yet, we didn’t have the funds to replace it.

In a situation like this, many people call their dad, but since my dad isn’t around, I don’t have that option. Instead, I called on my heavenly Father and shared the news with Him. I talked to Him about the sick car, our lack of funds, our need for all wheel drive, and then I asked Him to make the car last another 50,000 miles. (Maybe I asked for too little…maybe I should have asked Him for a brand-new car, but my literal need was for a car that runs and that can get up my steep driveway in the snow.)

It’s been 19 months since the bad news and I still drive that car. In fact, every time I look at the odometer, I smile. I’ve driven 23,700 miles in that time. My car is far from perfect, but I am so thankful for it. It is a constant reminder that God listens and answers our prayers. In fact, earlier this spring when I received a bad health diagnosis, I was encouraged several times by the mileage on my car. I remembered looking at the odometer and thinking that’s 17,000 more miles than they said I could get with this car…if God can extend the life of a car, He can take care of me.

I know the car’s days on the road will end eventually. With a “check engine” light that never goes off, it’s unlikely it’ll pass its next state emissions test. But even so, I am thankful. Thankful for every day (all 575 of them) that I drove my car beyond the day they told us that it shouldn’t run. I am thankful for a loving heavenly Father who knows our needs and provides for them. I am thankful that whenever I need to talk to my Daddy, all I have to do is go to Him in prayer. I am thankful that my health has improved and I’m getting more miles of good health than I expected. I am thankful I am able to see more clearly how much God loves and cares for me than ever before.

I drive a broken car with a broken body and I am blessed beyond measure!

GOING DEEPER:
1. What are you thankful for? Will you share that with someone today?

FURTHER READING:
John 16:23-27; Matthew 7:11

Lisa has been married to Ted for 19 years and they have two teenage sons. She serves as a small group leader at Oakwood Church in Student Ministries.