Wednesday, November 2, 2011

He Enables Me
By Peggy Kleckner

“He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to stand on the heights.”
2 Samuel 22:34

If you reviewed my spiritual walk, you would see that much of what I have learned has been from discussions God and I have had while I walk the dog. So, I thought I would share with you my latest revelation.

God and I were discussing why I sometimes take so long to move into a position He has asked me to fill. After just a few sentences, the truth was revealed. It is fear. Sometimes I am afraid I will fail, or afraid I haven’t heard Him clearly; other times, I am afraid of success, afraid I will become prideful. Fear is sin when we allow it to stop us from doing God’s will. It is siding with the enemy. Once it is revealed, we are called to repentance.

The truth was out and God was asking me to choose faith over fear. To stay stuck in fear is to not trust God to be God. If I am so afraid of pride that I stop doing what God is asking me to do, the enemy has succeeded in rendering me ineffective in God’s Kingdom work.

I wondered aloud, “Well how do I balance in the middle, not falling into self-pity or self-loathing and yet not falling in the other direction of pride and self-sufficiency?” His answer was immediate. I looked up and saw a squirrel scamper across the very top edge of a wooden fence, as if he was running along a wide footpath. The verse came to mind at the same time, “He makes my feet like the feet of a deer [or in this case, a squirrel], He enables me to stand [or even run] on the heights.” I laughed aloud.

Just like a true friend, He had heard my heart, helped me to see the truth, and then healed me with laughter. He reminded me that He has gifted me. He leads me to the work He has for me and He sustains me in it. If my focus is myself, I will fall to the right or to the left. If my focus is on Him, I will run or stand in high places of His choosing.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What has God been asking you to do for Him? Ask Him if it is fear that is holding you back.
2. Are you willing to be used by God to gently help a friend recognize fear in her life?

FURTHER READING:
1 Samuel 2:6-8; Psalm 40:1-2

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield. She serves as the Coordinator of Fresh Start.