Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Vision of His Glory
By Peggy Kleckner

“I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of His robe filled the temple.”
Isaiah 6:1b

What kind of day do you expect to have? Are there troubles that are nagging at you? Are there people whom you anticipate irritating you today?

Some days, I can name those things and those people. Other days, the list seems too long to even begin to tabulate. And on still others, it feels more like a thick fog or just a weariness of spirit. One gloomy thought seems to give birth to another.

Then into my mind marches the prophet Isaiah’s statement, “I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of His robe filled the temple.” It sounds as a trumpet: “Look up, you have a King!” The Lord is sovereign. No one has kicked Him off of His throne today, nor will they, nor can they any other day. Isaiah calls us to look past what we can see with our eyes or feel with our feelings, but instead to look with eyes of faith past all of that to the King of Glory.

This is what sets believers apart from the rest of the world. We can see God even in the midst of hardship, of trial, of pain. Oh, sometimes it takes a while to adjust our eyes in the darkness, but as we look for Him in all things we soon find Him. His promise to never leave us or forsake us stands firm, because He is God and not a man.

The King of Kings loves me. I matter to Him, because I believe that His Son, Jesus Christ, has paid for my sins - - all of them past, present and future - - and He has set me free. He has adopted me into His family and promises to love me and provide for me. Once I grasp hold of whose I am and what His position is, my day looks a whole lot brighter. I am not dependent on myself and my resources, but rather I am dependent on Him and His.

Is it you who needs to look up and past your circumstances today, or is there someone near you who needs to hear about what you see, or more aptly, Who you see?

GOING DEEPER:
1. Will you spend a few minutes to look up beyond your circumstances and on to your King?
2. Who needs help refocusing today…a friend or neighbor? Are you available to help her to see?

FURTHER READING:
Genesis 2:1-3; Psalm 3; Hebrews 3:1-6

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield. She serves as the Coordinator of Fresh Start.