Friday, January 6, 2012

Behind the Scenes
By Lisa Boyer

“Sing to Him, sing praise to Him; tell of all His wonderful acts.”
Psalm 105:2

Driving to church in the snow on New Year’s Day, I was filled with anticipation - - anticipation of worshipping God that morning. I had woken up early and had already been spending time with Him, yet I couldn’t wait to worship Him with my church family!

Thoughts of the year gone by drifted in and out of my mind... it had been a rough year, but never before had I been so convinced of His personal love and care for me than this year, this rough year. I just couldn’t wait to sing His praise! The irony of having a rough year and yet being so convinced of His love and care wasn’t lost on me and I couldn’t help but smile. In spite of everything, and I mean everything, He was there.

Worshipping with my church family was sweet, but even more sweet was the blessing of the message, “Behind the Scenes where God’s at work” from the book of Esther. The pastor made three main points(1):

1.    “God is always at work behind the scenes whether we recognize it or not.”  Esther 1:1-10:3

Ah ha! Wasn’t that exactly what I had been thinking? He is! He really is! I saw Him!!!

2.    “God does not have us (you) in this place at this time by chance or by mistake.” Esther 3:7, 9:1, 4:13-16 “Trust His placement” Esther 4:14b, “Trust His timing” Esther 4:14c, “Trust His plan” Esther 4:14a

Ohhhhh, that had been a tough one this year. I had been diagnosed with a serious condition in March, but I chose to trust Him in the midst of it. And then, a few weeks ago, a woman I encounter frequently in the course of my job gave me a gift. It was a red cardinal with the word “faith” on it. She said she had to get it for me when she saw it, “because you are so full of faith.” Could it be that God is using my faith in these circumstances to draw others closer to Him? I pray so!!

3.    “Recognize what God has done & celebrate it!” Esther 9:20-32

Now, that was what I had come to church to do that morning!! I had recognized His hand in preparing my heart for the journey… I had recognized His hand preparing the path I would take… I had recognized His hand in whom He surrounded me with during that time… I had recognized Him in it, in all of it and I had come to celebrate!!!

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Have you not seen God at work behind the scenes in your life? Today, will you pray and ask Him to show you?
2.  Will you trust His placement, timing and plan?

FURTHER READING:
The Book of Esther

(1) Pastor Roger Ellis, Oakwood Church, Delafield, WI, January 1, 2012

Lisa has been married to Ted for 19 years and they have two teenage sons. Lisa administers Fresh Start’s Facebook and blog, and loves hanging out with and impacting teenage girls for Christ.