Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I Don’t Get It
By Lexi Cole



“Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.”

Psalm 37:5-6



I love what Julie Andrews says in The Sound of Music, “When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.” It’s a cool picture and it’s relatable. There have been distinctive times in my life, and in the lives of people I love, when God has very specifically closed a door: answered “no” to a prayer, stopped an opportunity. It’s been incredible to see God reveal His perfect plan, to see the “window” that was better.



If I’m to be honest, though, I still struggle when God closes the door and there doesn’t seem to be a window in sight - - when an opportunity, job, situation, or decision doesn’t go the way we wanted and it doesn’t make sense. Recently, a dear friend of mine didn’t get a job opportunity. I firmly believe God has a plan, but I have to confess, I don’t get why He closed this door. My mind thinks about how perfect she would have been, about the incredible ministry she could have had in that role. I don’t get it. I know God is up to something, but He hasn’t revealed a “window” yet.



Here’s the thing: I know  there will be a window. I know God has a very specific plan for my precious friend, and His timing remains perfect, and more than we could ask or imagine. When God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window. Not necessarily right away, not necessarily the timing we want. It’s ridiculous for me to require God to show me a window - - or see a new opportunity - - the moment He closes a door. That’s me not trusting Him. The verse today doesn’t say to commit and trust God when it all makes sense. We serve a God who is big enough to work in incredibly powerful ways in our lives…even when we don’t understand. God is still God. He is still in control. He works in ways that are far beyond our finite imaginations. When He closes a door and we’re left standing there saying “I don’t get it,” the reality is: He does, and His plan and His timing are still perfect…even when it doesn’t make sense to us.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Identify a situation in your life (or someone you love) where a door has been closed and a window hasn’t been revealed yet. Despite its difficulty, how are you trusting God?
2. What do you need to do as a next step for yourself (or a friend) to continue in trusting and committing to God’s timing and plan?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 37:3-7, 38-40; Isaiah 40:10-31

Lexi is finishing her final semester at Bethel University as an Elementary Education major, and is planning her wedding with her fiancé, Andrew. She serves with Children’s Ministries at Oakwood.