Friday, January 13, 2012

Blindsided
By Kari Lyles

Jesus said, “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.”
John 9:39

I sheepishly rolled over to look at the clock that glowed 6 a.m. When I turned back over I felt the butterflies in my stomach flutter and my heart begin to race. I knew I had to do it.

I walked to my closet, pulled my laptop from the shelf, crawled back under the covers, and started. My fingers clickety-clacked on the keys, tears streaming down my cheeks. I read it again and again, trying to make sure my heart was being poured out in love and not putting the receiver on the defensive. I pushed the “send” button.

Done!

I did it. I shared my heart and now the ball was in the receiver’s court. Surely she would take into account my feelings, see my side and feel convicted of behavior that had caused hurt. So, I waited.

And waited…

Every time my Blackberry binged with a new email, my heart raced a little. It binged for a whole week. (Kohls’ really does offer 15-30% off EVERY DAY!)

A response never came in the form of an email. But one came from my Lord… and I was blindsided.

As I sat down with my Bible, I had asked the Lord to give me wisdom to move forward. This is what I proceeded to read: “Jesus said, ‘For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.’” I know that in the context of this passage, Jesus was referring to spiritual sight and the “blindness” of the seeing Pharisees. But in my specific situation, I am convinced that, in His kindness, He was using those words to show me His desire for me.

It hit me like a ton of bricks. I not only was supposed to turn the other cheek in circumstances… but sometimes, even though I could see things were not right and that I was hurt, I needed to choose to become blind. OUCH!

Those words stung. I wanted to feel somehow that my email was justified and that it had been the right thing to do. Instead, I was being asked to become blind to it. To become like Christ. To love another deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins (I Peter 4:8).

A smile came to me and I knew that God was once again growing and molding me. Yes, I was still hurt…but if He chose to be “blind” to my many faults, I knew He would give me the grace to become blind to others.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What do you need to become “blind” to?
2. How does becoming “blind” actually help you to become more like Christ?

FURTHER READING:
John 9 –10

Kari is a wife and mother to two girls. She works as a regional sales manager at MAX-R in Sussex and is involved in Oakwood’s drama ministry.