Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Choose Power!
By Carolyn Hulliberger

“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.”
2 Timothy 1:7

I love it when God asks me to do something that challenges me.

I hate it when God asks me to do something that intimidates me.

Can you relate?

Recently, I was asked about being a Fresh Start writer. Ministering through Fresh Start is difficult for me, and something that I sort of “fell” into. You see, I’m a business major who loves to read.  Writing a devotional is something that I struggle with most of the time. There is a vulnerability to putting my own thoughts out there, not just to my fellow churchgoers, but to all of cyberspace through the blog and Facebook. At times, my insecurity “helps” me make excuses to not prioritize writing. After all, who am I to give reflection on being a Christ-follower? I’m certainly no “super-Christian” who has it all together (as if THAT exists)! And if the truth be told, I’ve cried my way through composing a few devotionals dealing with my own painful experiences, like my dad’s stroke and my own faith story.

In his two letters to his friend Timothy, the Apostle Paul offers encouragement to all of us committed to following Jesus, even when it’s hard. Paul knew that Timothy struggled with being young and a bit timid (Can we say “insecure”?). Paul called Timothy his “son,” and like any good dad, Paul imparted words of wisdom and counsel:

“…Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.  Fight the good fight of the faith….” (1 Timothy 6:11-12)

“…Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.” (2 Timothy 2:1)

“…Set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity…Do not neglect your gift…Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress.”  (1 Timothy 4:12-15)

“As for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of…” (2 Timothy 3:14)

Maybe you have an opportunity...teaching a class, committing to financial giving, becoming a foster/adoptive parent, taking a different job, the list is endless….

Will you consider it a challenge, or an intimidation?  Will it be timidity…or power, love and self-discipline?

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Think of a time when you felt anxious about an opportunity, but stepped up anyway. How did God work in the situation? 

FURTHER READING:
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Along with caring for her husband, two children and the dog, Carolyn serves Oakwood Church in Student Ministries with an awesome group of junior high girls, and is the treasurer for Women’s Ministries.