Wednesday, June 19, 2013

“He Marveled”
By Susan Klein

“Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled…”

Whenever I find myself in need of some “real” time with my Savior, I know I can turn to the Gospels and find Him there. His presence is visible upon the pages of God’s written Word. How like our loving heavenly Father to provide us with this very personal gift to use over and over again to fit our every circumstance.

When I am grieving, I can read Jesus wept (John 11:35), knowing He personally shares in my grief. When I need counsel, I can read that Jesus spoke to the multitudes and I can glean from His message to them. When I am weary from life’s demands, I can learn from the example that Jesus withdrew to solitary places to be alone with His Father for rest and refreshment.

Among other things, the Gospels tell us that Jesus:
rebuked
healed
performed miracles
went away (or departed)
forgave
raised the dead
defended
prayed

All of these things have touched my heart in a personal way at a time when I really needed them. All of these things Jesus did because He was the Son of God and they were things He was sent here to do. However, there is one thing Jesus did in response to  what someone else did. He marveled. In context, the above verse explains that Jesus marveled over the great faith of one man, a Gentile, no less. Without the benefit of growing up memorizing Old Testament Scriptures or sitting under the tutelage of esteemed Jewish leaders, a Roman centurion heard about Jesus and beseeched Him to heal his paralyzed servant. Jesus immediately understood the great faith this man placed in Him by humbly presenting this request, and by believing it would be done. (You can read the rest of the story in John chapter 8!)

As I glance back over my list, I realize these are things Jesus did for me. To show my gratitude, I’d like to do something for Him. I’d like to exercise my faith like the humble centurion did. I want to take all these things to heart and gratefully, diligently and unquestioningly apply them to my life in a way that brings Him glory and honor. And wouldn’t it just be ever-so-precious if perchance, He were to marvel at my faithfulness?!!

GOING DEEPER:
1. How can you spend intentional time exercising your faith?

2. What are some weak areas in your faithfulness that might require some attention?

FURTHER READING:
Matthew 9:20-22; Romans 1:17; James 2:14-23

Susan is a We Women Bible Study Coordinator and one of its teachers. She and her husband Mark enjoy tutoring and working with inner-city youth.