Monday, June 17, 2013

To God be the Glory
By Brita Crouse

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

Did you know that Puffer Fish can inflate to several times their normal size? They ingest large amounts of water to make themselves bigger than they regularly are. The reason they do this is to ward off predators. They may be afraid of being eaten or attacked, so “puffing up” protects them from any threats.

There are many days where I feel very similar to a Puffer Fish, but instead of ingesting water, I ingest pride. My fears cause me to “puff up” so I can keep any threats at bay. I catch myself with this inflated pride when I am feeling insecure about my abilities or stressed out about my current situation. Instead of trusting God completely, I use my own defense - - my inflatable pride - - to make others believe I am better than I really am.

The truth is: I am no better than anyone else. What would make me so special or important to be favored over another?

In his book Crazy Love, Francis Chan says this about our verse for today: “Frankly, you need to get over yourself. It might sound harsh, but that’s seriously what it means.” (1) This was the swift kick-in-the-pants that I needed. It is harsh to hear that, but it’s true. In the grand scheme of things, our lives are only a vapor and it is what we do with that time that matters.

Do we glorify God by trusting in our own strength? Do we glorify Him when we put ourselves before others? Is it glorifying to God to put others down to puff ourselves up? The answer to all of these questions should be a resounding, “NO!” Yet, we still find ourselves doing these things.

Instead of focusing so much time on ourselves, what if we focused on others? What if we viewed people, tolerable or intolerable, as if they were Christ Himself? Our attitudes would be completely different! Plus, our actions, and the motives behind those actions, would be glorifying to God.

God created everyone. Not just you. Not just me. Everyone. And He loves His creation. Instead of focusing so much on ourselves, trying to puff up our egos, let’s love others as if they were Christ. In doing this, we will bring Him glory and honor.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What person, or group of people, should you be more loving to this week?
2.  Listen to “In The End” by JJ Heller. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-w4KLSEJUs) Make a conscious effort this week to act in ways that will glorify God.

FURTHER READING:

(1) Francis Chan, “Crazy Love.”  Pg. 44, David C. Cook, © 2008

Brita recently graduated from Taylor University with a degree in Psychology, has been attending Oakwood for sixteen years, and is currently a helper for Oakwood’s Quest 56.