Monday, June 24, 2013

M.I.A.
By Becci Terrill

“Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.”
Psalm 139:7-9 (NIV)


MISSING: 5’9”, 135 lb. female, brown hair & eyes, 46 yrs old, probably wearing red high heels.

It had been one of those days…my husband was out of town, the kids were attending school out of state, the new job wasn’t going as well as planned, and to top it off, the puppy had just chewed up my Oriental rug. At this point, even Calgon couldn’t take me far enough away to help. The passport in my drawer was calling out my name, tempting me with visions of far off places, but unfortunately the checkbook was speechless and empty.

Maybe I could run to that place, like Cheers, where “everybody knows your name and they’re always glad you came.” Surely someone there would understand, wouldn’t they?

Have you ever had one of those days? A day when life is spinning out of control like an amusement park ride and you just want to get off and run away? Fortunately, no matter where we run, the Lord is there. Jonah found this out the hard way by trying to flee from God. He thought he had succeeded…paid the fare, boarded the ship, and settled in his bed for a nap. Then came the big storm, the unexpected swim and the unusual accommodations where God finally got his attention…in the belly of a whale.

Maybe that’s where I should run in the first place…TO JESUS! Maybe He allows all these things to crowd into my life to drive me TO HIM. I hadn’t thought of that before. Spending time with my precious Savior, away from the busy-ness and crazy-ness of life, is just what I need to refresh my soul and calm my emotions…especially after “one of those days.”

So, if you ever see the M.I.A. notice posted above, please let my family know I’ll be home soon…after time spent with Jesus!

GOING DEEPER:
1. What circumstance in your life makes you want to run away? Whatever you are facing, share your heart with Jesus.
2. Do you sometimes feel like you’re beyond God’s reach? Ask God to strengthen your faith.

FURTHER READING:
Jonah 1-2

Becci is a wife and mom to two daughters. She is the Director of Ministry Partnerships at Shepherds Ministries in Union Grove and is the Special Events Coordinator for Oakwood's We Women Ministries.