Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Meaningful Pointing
By Lexi Ellis

“Point me down your highway, God; direct me along a well-lighted street…”

We are currently in the process of training our German Shorthair Pointer puppy, Calvin, to be a hunting dog. Since the first session with the trainer, walks (and even going outside) have not been the same. Calvin picks up on all kinds of animal scents - - birds, squirrels, chipmunks, rodents, even other dogs’ excrement - - and will immediate take the pointing stance. Pointing is when a hunting dog stops, its head goes low and sticks out, tail goes up and one front paw curls to communicate, or point, to where the bird is.

Interestingly, the “pointing at the little, meaningless things” is very much a phase. As Calvin continues his training, he’ll learn to distinguish the difference between a hunting bird and a squirrel. While hunting, he’ll ignore the chipmunks, dog poop and mice because he understands they’re temporal and worthless. Eventually he’ll learn the distinction between the little scents and the “meaningful” scents  - - the birds Andrew hunts - - that bring him an even greater delight.

It got me thinking: Have I learned the distinction between pointing at the meaningless and the meaningful? How often do I point to the temporal, allowing it to consume my thoughts and steal my joy? If I’m honest, I think I find myself often pointing or focused on my pride, my own ability or my reputation.  Other times I point at selfishness by choosing a bad attitude and unkindness. Often, these meaningless things I devote my time and energy, thoughts and actions to result in missing out on the privilege of pointing on the meaningful - - the opportunity to be a part of God’s Plan, to love others and share His redeeming grace.

The question becomes: What am I pointing at - - the meaningless or the meaningful? While we are free from a life of guilt and shame, I wonder what time and talent is wasted pointing to the meaningless that could be spent doing amazing, meaningful things for the Gospel. Calvin is still learning to distinguish between the meaningless and meaningful. I’m thankful we have God’s Word and the opportunity to be in relationship with the Creator of the Universe so we can continually learn to point to meaningful as well.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Think about the meaningless and meaningful things you point to.
2. What godly opportunities are you missing out on because you’re pointing to the meaningless? What do you need to do to address that? Not sure? Ask our God in prayer and spend time allowing Him to speak to you through His Word.

FURTHER READING:

Lexi is married to Andrew and has an adorable puppy named Calvin. She serves with Oakwood’s Children’s Ministries, teaches at Lake Country Christian Academy and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.