Friday, July 25, 2014

The Heart of the Matter
By Jeannine Sawall

“The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

The morning after an intense storm swept through our area, I was driving to work and noticed a large tree lying in the middle of the road. The tree was huge and clearly old, yet the storm had caused one of the main branch arteries to break off and block oncoming traffic. What I noticed was the inside of the tree: the entire interior of the tree had been rotting. Its core was completely decayed because of the rot and so it had not been able to withstand the winds of the storm.

From the outside, the tree looked perfectly healthy and solid. It had green leaves on it. It was tall and burley and looked like it could have handled any storm…a mighty oak. Yet on the inside, there was a huge void where the core of the tree had crumbled away leaving it weak and vulnerable to the heavy winds. Because of its weakness, the shelter and shade it had provided for untold wildlife was now gone.

As I drove by this tree, it challenged me to consider my spiritual walk. I know how to look like a solid Christian on the outside. I know the right words and phrases to say. I know my Bible pretty well and can recite appropriate verses at appropriate times. I attend the required church events and from the outside I can look like I have it pretty much spiritually all together. However, the Lord considers my “inside actions” - - the actions and thoughts of my heart more than the actions and words I do and say. Unless there is the consistency on the inside to match the outside, all I am doing is putting on a farce while my inside crumbles away.

As Christians, we need to have our insides match our outsides. Not only because God sees our intentions and hears our thoughts and anything outside His line of godliness grieves Him, but because when we do not have spiritual heart health, any storm that comes our way can shatter us. We need to have a spiritual healthiness that goes to our core so we can offer shelter to those around us when needed, as well as remain strong in our faith when storms come our way. It really comes down to the fact that it’s the heart of the matter that matters most!

GOING DEEPER:
1.  How healthy is your spiritual walk? Do the thoughts of your heart match the words of your mouth?
2.  Who is God asking you to provide spiritual shelter or shade for?

FURTHER READING:

Jeannine is a wife and busy mother of four boys. She works in property management, serves in Café and actively ministers to those walking through grief.