Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A Light in the Darkness 
By Jen Wollner

“Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
 Isaiah 41:10 (NASB)

The fear was overwhelming. The more I thought about my upcoming mission trip, the more anxious I became. My mind reeled with “what ifs” and parked itself in a dark place. All I could think about was the difficult trial ahead. All I could see was pain and suffering. I wondered if what God was asking me to do was really worth the sacrifice…worth the heartache and tears that I knew were eminent.

As I lay in bed, my thoughts spinning, I struggled to push past the fear, instead forcing myself to remember the truth in His Word. With great effort, I attempted to recite Isaiah 41:10 over and over, pushing out the anxiety. I couldn’t even remember every word of the verse, but managed to repeat the key words as best I could. As I chose to focus on truth, a sliver of light peered in the darkness. As I chose to believe God and His promises, the light shone stronger and stronger in my heart and mind until, eventually, darkness and fear were overpowered by truth and peace.

It’s so easy to spiral down into the depths of terror and despair. Our minds are powerful and often get the best of us. One thought turns into another and pretty soon we’re in a pit of anxiety, unable to get ourselves out. Although it’s a challenging choice, the best way to combat our worries is with the truth of God’s Word. It is alive and active and has the divine power to demolish strongholds…even those that have driven our minds to unhealthy places. As we focus on truth, believing God instead of lies, He strengthens and upholds us. As we concentrate on His Word, it pierces our heart and soul. And a light begins to seep into our darkness, illuminating the power and love of our God.

My future circumstances are still unknown. I am sure to face some very difficult moments. But right now I’m choosing to focus on the goodness of the Lord and His provision. I’m taking God at His Word and letting Him consume my thoughts… “Do not fear, for I am with you...I am your God.”

GOING DEEPER:
1. What life circumstance has you anxious and upset?
2. Memorize Isaiah 41:10 and recite it to yourself when your fears threaten to overtake you…and let the light of His Word shine in the darkness!

FURTHER READING:
Hebrews 4:12; 2 Corinthians 10:4-5; Romans 8:28; Psalm 4:8

Jen and her husband are busily parenting three elementary-aged children. She serves on the leadership team for Mission: Hope, Oakwood’s orphan care ministry.