Friday, April 10, 2015


What’s Your Disability?
by Becci Terrill

“…for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God…”
Romans 3:23 (NIV)

“What’s your disability?” the man behind the table asked. His query caught me off guard. My disability? Hmm… I’d never thought about that before.

The question haunted me. I was attending a conference to learn how to minister to people with disabilities, but had been challenged about my own disabilities instead.

The word “disability,” in simplest form, means not able to do something. We all have things we are not able to do. One disability we all share is sin. Because of sin, none are able to attain heaven on our own because “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”

Each of us is broken.

Thankfully, God did not leave us in this state of disability! In Romans 5:8 it says, “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” And John 3:16 says, “…whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

Jesus makes us whole.

That doesn’t mean that disabilities disappear. Physical, mental and emotional difficulties are not the result of a cruel God, but rather a loving Father who has a plan and a purpose for each of us.

In John 9, Jesus is confronted with a man who was born blind and asked who had sinned to cause his disability - - the man or his parents. Jesus responds that this man was created with a disability so that God could be glorified in him.

God wants to use our brokenness for His glory!

Dr. Charles Ware said, “The cross is where disabilities and opportunities meet.”  Because we are His children, God wants to use our disabilities and brokenness to bring glory to Him. When I am discouraged because I am “not able” to do something, the Spirit gently reminds me of verses like:

  • 2 Corinthians 12:10: “for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (NIV)
  • Matthew 19:26: “with man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” (NIV)
  • Philippians 4:13: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (NIV)
We are God’s masterpiece.

It’s easy to dwell on my brokenness and disabilities instead of focusing on God and the work that He wants to do in and through me. Yes, I am broken and disabled, but I am also His beloved child, a masterpiece, with good works to do before He calls me home. (Ephesians 2:10)

May each of us delight in this truth!

GOING DEEPER:
1. What’s your disability? How might God use this to glorify Him?
2. Consider reading Joni, an autobiography by Joni Eareckson Tada. Her life with disabilities will inspire you!

FURTHER READING:

Becci Terrill is a wife and mom to two adult daughters. She is the Children’s Ministry Director at Oakwood Church.