Thursday, April 30, 2015

Fear of Failing
By Lexi Cole Ellis

The Lord is my light and my salvation - - whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life - - of whom shall I be afraid?
Psalm 27:1 (NIV)

This year has been really healthy for me professionally. As I looked back at previous years of teaching, I realized I often spent time considering other instructional strategies to try, but was hesitant about implementing them because of a fear of failing. My over-thinking and the fear of what others would think held me back in incorporating new strategies for my students.

This changed through a positive encounter with my new administrator. As I shared ideas I wanted to try, I was shocked at her excitement. She encouraged me to keep taking risks and that it would be okay if it didn’t work perfectly every time.

In an environment where teachers are under continual pressure to be perfect, this permission to try new instructional formats to best help my students was incredibly freeing. I began incorporating techniques, meeting with other teachers, and working on multiple taskforces for new district proposals on what individualized, personalized learning can realistically look like in different kind of classrooms. Is each thing I try perfection? Not at all. But I’ve seen incredible results across the board in my students. This freedom and support has energized my teaching in a healthy way, replacing my fear of failing and of my inadequacies. I now have this sign[1] by my desk: 

I recently heard Matthew West’s song, “Day One,” on the radio.

“I wish I wasn't wishing anymore
Wish I could remember that nobody's keeping score
I'm tired of throwing pennies in a well
I gotta do something
Here goes nothin'

It's day one of the rest of my life.” [2]

I began to realize my fear of failing wasn’t exclusive to my teaching. As I work to be in the Word and improve my prayer life, this “day one” mentality has become applicable and easier to live out. As I look at Scripture, I see stories of those willing to take risks for the Lord. Imagine what could happen if I was willing to take risks for His Kingdom, to be in the Word and in prayer, so I could discern what God’s direction was and be bold in my faith.[3] I will not let the fear of failing prevent me from living out my calling. It’s day one...have you rejected the fear of failing?

GOING DEEPER:
1. What do you need to do to so the fear of failing doesn’t consume you?
2. Take time to listen to Matthew West’s song “Day One” today. (Click HERE to listen to it.)

FURTHER READING:

[3] Our small group just finished Max Lucado’s book /study “Fearless” and the book elaborated on this as well.

Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable puppy named Calvin. She teaches sixth grade at Silver Lake Intermediate School. She serves with Children’s Ministries and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.