Thursday, April 9, 2015

Suffering
By Peggy Kleckner

“For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for Him.”

And so, light pierced my darkness. One sentence of Scripture placed seemingly random in my day and I felt His hand.

I had been prattling on to Him about feeling disconnected and yet knowing that I am not.  I am unworthy of His love and yet cannot deny that He loves me, just because He chooses to. I cannot decide for Him whom He should love, even when that someone is me.

I felt like I wasn’t “doing” anything for Him. I haven’t been doing mighty deeds of ministry. I haven’t been seeking the lost, keeping an orderly house and checkbook, taking on giants or whatever else I think of as “doing” for Him. He reminded me that being with Him has been important.  I have stepped away from most things, but not my practice of meeting with Him.

I have struggled in my belief as wave after wave of personal disappointments and heartaches bombarded my faith. I have wrestled with the daily-ness of life, feeling like Solomon in Ecclesiastes, life drained of joy…work and even words feeling meaningless. But still I walked with Him, I spoke to Him of my heartaches. I argued with Him over how things looked to me. He patiently listened and still we walked. I fussed and fumed, exhausting myself as a child in a tantrum. I was seeking to understand Him, to know His ways, to climb higher to get a better view of Him.

In all of my striving, I finally was exhausted and so we rested. When I looked up, I saw that we were resting at the foot of the cross. My argument had been, truly, that I didn’t want it to be true that Jesus not only had to come, but that all of His suffering and all of His pain was necessary for me. God did not allow one moment more of pain than was necessary. My mother’s heart does not like to look at or accept that painful truth. We cannot save ourselves. We cannot be good, even with His help.

Scripture is true…on our own, nothing good lives in us. Our sinful nature must be put to death and we must take up our new life in Him. Always, He leads into truth….more of Himself.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they will be satisfied. We hunger and thirst for Jesus, our true and only satisfaction. Our salvation rests in Him, not in ourselves.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  What deep questions are you not allowing to come to the surface?
2.  Are you willing to allow Him access to all of the rooms of your heart?

FURTHER READING:
Acts 17:28; John 15:5; Psalm 73:25-26

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield.