Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Drudgery to Joy
By Susan Klein

“O my Strength, I sing praise to you; you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God.”

Have you ever had one of those tasks that you absolutely dreaded doing, yet there was just no getting out of it? I used to feel that way about making the tedious drive to pick up my daughter from college for breaks. I don’t mind being the passenger  on long journeys because I can read or accomplish something along the way, but being the driver,  all one can do is drive. It can feel like such a waste of time.

Plugging in some music on one of my recent trips, I began to sing along with Nicole C. Mullin.

“When I behold the beauty
Of Your many wonders
And I'm captivated by
Your majesty
Oh my soul rings out
a sacred hallelujah
Back to the source
From whence it came.”

As I began to take notice of the beautiful countryside dotted with farms, the drudgery started to fade.

“And when I'm searching
For the face of the Invisible
When I reach to hold the hand that formed my being
All a sudden everything that
Is within me blesses your name
Again and again.”

Soon, my focus turned from the task at hand to the joyful praising of my Creator.

“When I am overwhelmed by
All that is around me
And the tears
That flood my heart
Run down my face
I'll remember that
Your heart and
Soul was broken
And even in pain
You’re worthy of praise.”

The rest of the song was sung through tears of gratefulness! While it’s easy to get bogged down by life and overwhelmed by the evil in the world, we are spared so much of the pain and sorrow that Jesus Himself has endured, and must still feel in His heart as He looks upon the evil that continues today. How blessed we are to know that, while we were in our most sinful state, Christ died for us. He bore our punishment. No gift can match what He gave, but our praises can surely be music to His ear.

“Crying Holy is the
Lord God Almighty
Worthy is the Lamb
Who was Slain
To Receive our
Greatest Adoration
Jesus Son of God
Is His Name.” (1)

I will never view long solitary drives with drudgery again. They’ve quickly become some of the sweetest times of undistracted praise for my Savior.

You know that task you are dreading…

GOING DEEPER:
1. How can you incorporate praise into your everyday life?
2. Find time to listen to “Holy Captivated” today. (Click HERE to listen to it.)

FURTHER READING:

(1) Nicole C. Mullen, Holy Captivated, 2011, Maranatha! Music

Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood.