Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Clinging to Truth
By Susan Klein

“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
John 8:32 (NIV)

For years now, I’ve attempted to live by the motto: “Cling to the things you know to be true.” I’ve ingrained it in my brain by journaling about it, writing it on post-it-notes and placing them in highly visible spots, and repeating it out loud often. I’ve even shared it with countless others when they’ve had circumstances that deem it beneficial. I’m really not sure where I first came across this concept, but it has been a crucial motto to live by during some pretty tough times in my life.

I tend to be emotional. Okay, that’s an understatement. I ooze emotion! Do you remember that cute little Mary-sunshine from your childhood who always danced around with a smile on her face and never seemed to have a care in the world? Yeah, that wasn’t me. Sometimes I think God must have mis-wired me because my “feeler” can rise to the ceiling or plummet to the basement in a flash! It can even get stuck in either place for indeterminable amounts of time. Any given thing can instigate this rapid rise and fall and I often feel as if I have no control over it. My heart races with the best of them and my stomach can churn at the slightest provocation. Because I’m so emotionally wired, what often happens is my feelings override what I know to be truth. For example: I’m feeling unloved, therefore I must be unloved. If left unchecked, my feelings (rather than truth) can influence my response. Ever been there?

Over the years, I’ve had to compile a list of truths to cling to, especially when my “feeler” starts acting up. Let me share some of my top picks with you.

* God is for me. (Even when it feels like no one else is.)  (1)
* I am sealed. (Even when I feel like I’ve really messed up and God couldn’t possibly still want                              
   me.) (2)     
* God is bigger than, and has allowed all of my circumstances.
* My emotions are a part of me, but they don’t have to control me.
* This isn’t as good as it gets! (Even when the world tries to convince me otherwise.) (3)

Times change, bad things happen. Life gets sticky and people are messy. There will always be dips and climbs in our emotional roller coaster, but clinging to things we know to be true can and will make the ride much more bearable!

GOING DEEPER:
1. What are some truths that bring you peace of mind?
2. How can you incorporate these truths during highly emotional times?

FURTHER READING: (from above references)


Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads an on-site small group.