Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Dog or Wolf?
By Lexi Cole Ellis

Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.

We watched a fascinating documentary called “Dogs Decoded.” [1] In it, scientists tested to see if the social-cognitive differences in dogs and wolves were genetic or experimental (nature or nurture). Both wolf and dog pups were raised by humans: fed by humans, close contact with humans and socialized with unknown humans. If the wolf pups ended up showing dog-like traits, then domestication was affected by nurture.

Food was set out but the pathway was completely “inaccessible to the animals; human help would be required to access it.” At first, all the pups tried to get to the food on their own. But by minute two, the dogs “began to look towards the humans. This increased over time and by the fourth minute there was a statistical difference…Not only did the wolf pups not spontaneously initiate eye contact…but they also failed to learn that eye contact was the key to solving their problem.” The experiment concluded that:  “Even after being raised by humans, wolves simply do not see humans as potential social partners. The dogs, however, quite rapidly took a social approach to solve each problem they were given.” [2]

It makes me wonder: am I like the wolf pup or the dog pup? When I see that “food”  - - my dreams and hopes, my needs - - am I willing to initiate eye contact with my Master? Or do I continue to try on my own in vain, never willing to ask for help…even from the One who has provided for and loved me? Whatever the situation, trial, hardship or struggle I’m facing, am I choosing to act like the wolf or the dog? Do I learn quickly that I should make eye contact with God- - spend time in His Word, pray, ask His Spirit for guidance - - or do I continually try on my own, refusing to ask for help?

Have I built a habit of going to God in prayer first regarding the things that are next in my life? Do I make spending time in His Word a priority in a life where there is often noise and busyness? If I’m honest, I find myself more like the wolf, working towards the things I want…in the way I want. But in the end, it’s not very rewarding. May we be those who initiate eye contact, turning to our Master as we pursue the things we most need.

GOING DEEPER:
1.      Identify a situation in your life where you can be more like the dog pup.
2.      What do you need to do to depend on God more?

FURTHER READING:

Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable dog named Calvin. Lexi teaches sixth grade Reading and Writing. She serves with Children’s Ministries and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.

[1] Dogs Decoded, aired July 3, 2013 on PBS. You can watch this documentary on Netflix.

[2] Goldman, Jason G. Dog, But Not Wolves, Use Humans As Tools, 30 April, 2012, Scientific American, http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/thoughtful-animal/dogs-but-not-wolves-use-humans-as-tools/