Thursday, June 29, 2017

Return to Rest
 By Elin Henderson

“Return to your rest, O my soul, for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.”
Psalms 116:7 (NKJV)

One way or Return  are one of the first things that you click on when you are doing a travel search for airfare tickets. Return  indicates that you started off at some location. And logically, you want to return there. 
           
We were designed and created for rest, but how much of our lives today reflect a life of rest? Sadly, very little. Adam and Eve were given God’s presence, His life, His peace and placed in a perfect place of rest in the Garden of Eden. All that they needed was provided for them. They simply fellowshipped with their God each day and looked to Him for all of their needs. 

This rest came to an abrupt halt when Satan deceived Eve, and sin was brought into the world. They ceased to look to God and His provision, and instead they fell for the lie that there was something “more” out there that they were missing out on. God’s presence was removed from them as they exited the Garden, and they were left empty and hopeless in the hands of Satan. 

Since then, there has been a futile fight to find that rest again. We started off there, and we are frantically looking for the return  side of that ticket. Rest and the presence of God are one in the same. Without His presence, we have no rest. Jesus’ death on the cross bridged that gap that was between ourselves and God, making a way for that rest to return to us once again through His Spirit’s indwelling presence.

Yet, I know in my own Christian life, rest at times remains sadly elusive. Struggles come my way and instead of returning to the source of rest and remembering how God has dealt bountifully with me, I wallow in a state of worry. I need that reminder. That I have the return  ticket in hand: His presence with me. I need only board the plane and return  to that place of rest, my Garden of Eden, where God and I dwell hand-in-hand, and He is all I need. 

GOING DEEPER:                                                       
1.      Can you think of any other examples in Scripture where God’s presence brought rest to His people?  (Hints: A suffering Job. Daniel with a den full of hungry lions. Three men in a fiery furnace. Paul and Silas beaten and shackled in a jail cell…just to start you off!)

FURTHER READING:


Oakwood’s missionaries Elin Henderson (a registered nurse) and her husband Phil serve as church planters with New Tribes in Mozambique, Africa.  Elin is mother to seventeen-year-old Callie and fourteen-year-old Elias.