Tuesday, June 13, 2017

My Thorn
By Lexi Cole Ellis

“Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”

Recently, a friend and I were talking about her mental illness journey. While God certainly could take this struggle away, it appears that therapy and learning to manage it will most likely be her journey for the foreseeable future. In our conversation, she said something that really struck me.

            “This feels like my thorn...”

She was referring to 2 Corinthians 12:7-9. The gist of it is that Paul writes about a thorn that he has, and that it’s super annoying. He pleads with God to take it away, but God responds with a “no.” Instead He says, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

Theologians have noted that Paul doesn’t specify what “thorn” is affecting him. Some speculate that it might be a physical ailment, past guilt, temptation, a person or mental illness. However, they also note the things that we do know about the situation: It was allowed by God. It was challenging, to the point of being tormenting. And that Paul pleaded that it would be taken away, and God basically said, “no.” [1]

Part of me would love to know what was tripping Paul up…I mean he’s quite the guy. But I love the reminder that all of us, even Paul, live in a fallen world and are affected by sin and disease. Whatever that thorn is - -  a season of grief, a challenging relationship, mental illness, unexpected health struggles, heartache or pain - - God enters the mess and journeys with us.

He doesn’t promise for it to be taken away. But He promises to be right there on the journey - - through the crisis and confusion. And even if He doesn’t promise to end it here on earth, He does  promise that His power is revealed in these circumstances, and that eternity will remove every tear, pain and sorrow. [2]

It made think about what my thorn is.  And as I reflected on that, I realized that my thorn included the moments where God really showed up in my life. Despite the pain, despite the annoyance, despite the weakness… my thorn was met by God’s power and grace.

I’m thankful my friend reminded me to take some time identifying my own thorn. It prompted me to see God’s power and grace at work in the midst of my own thorn.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Take some time to think about your own potential thorn.
2.  Where has God shown up in the midst of your thorn?


Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable dog named Calvin. She teaches 6th grade Reading and Writing. She serves with Children’s Ministries and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.


[2] 2 Corinthians 12:8a, Revelations 21:4