Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Hi...My Name is Martha
By Stephanie LaCasse

“’Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

I had a list - - a long list - - of the tasks I needed to accomplish that morning. I set my alarm a half hour earlier than normal, so I could get up before the kids and get the tasks checked off my list before the day began. As I ran back and forth in the living room, my eyes kept glancing at my Bible on the coffee table. I definitely felt like I should be sitting down with the Creator, but instead I chose to rationalize with Him.

Lord…not right now. I have to get a load of wash in, get the boys’ soccer stuff ready to go…

And without realizing it, I drowned Him out. He just didn’t understand that I have so much to do and not enough time to do it in. You can probably see where I’m going. So many of us struggle with not being in the Word.

Hi…my name is Martha, and I’m a workaholic.   

I think many of you can relate. There is too much to do and not enough time. Perhaps you’re familiar with the story of Jesus at the home of Mary and Martha. Martha was “…distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.” Jesus didn’t say that the distractions were not important things. I’m sure they were important as she was preparing a meal for THE SAVIOR. Can you imagine?!

When Martha laments that Mary is not helping her (how many of us can relate to that!?), Jesus makes an important point. He explains that what Mary chose was better. Martha is doing what needs to be done, but there will always be things that need to be done. It never ends. But sitting at the feet of Jesus and listening to Him, reading His love letter to us (a.k.a. the Word) and talking to Him….that is what is BETTER.  [1]

Today: Spend a few moments with Him. Silence… Even just a few moments. Listen to Him. Pray to Him. Devote yourself to Him. Trust me…you won’t be disappointed.

GOING DEEPER:
1.      What are you “distracted” by in your life? How can you minimize these distractions?
2.      Find a time and place to regularly spend time with Jesus. Pen it in your calendar, and do not allow anything to deter you from spending time with your SAVIOR as Mary did.

FURTHER READING:

Stephanie is a mom of three young sons and wife to Dave, who is currently in seminary preparing for chaplaincy in the US Army. In her spare time, she’s employed at a law firm.

[1] Luke 10:40-42