Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Thirst
By Stephanie LaCasse

“…but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
John 4:14 (NIV, emphasis added)


One day, a friend at work lamented, “My lips are really chapped.”

She had told me she wasn’t really a water drinker and would even go all day without drinking any. Even though she knew she should, and despite how often I reminded her that she needed to drink more water, she chose not to. The average adult is comprised of about 60% water, and it is no mystery that we need it to survive. Thirst is one of the signs that you are dehydrated. Someone once told me that by the time you actually feel thirsty, your body is already dehydrated. [1]

I was thinking about this today when I came home from work and felt incredibly thirsty. My mind went to what my friend at work said about her lips being chapped. You see, I don’t always feel like being in my Bible and spending time in prayer, but there comes a point when my soul is so desperate for Jesus that I just have to get into His Word… to be with Him… to have a drink, a sip of that water that will never dry up.

In the passage above, Jesus is speaking to a woman whom Jews do not normally associate with, a Samaritan. The woman (who goes unnamed in the passage) is surprised to find a Jew speaking to her. She is going to draw water from the well, and Jesus tells her that He could give her living water. Water that will sustain her, and she will never thirst again. Can you imagine never having to thirst again?! Our souls thirst, too. But if we have Jesus, if we remain connected to Him, tethered to Him… we won’t be thirsty. Our soul’s thirst will be quenched. Forever.

I encourage you to drink. Drink from the One who quenches your thirst. Be with Him. Even a few minutes a day can fill us up. People search and search for something, or someone, to fill that void. It’s Jesus. He is the only One who can fill that void. So… what are you waiting for?!

Drink up.

GOING DEEPER:
1.    When you feel yourself getting thirsty, think about Jesus and the thirst of your soul. How can you quench that thirst today?
2.    How could you encourage someone you know to drink from the living water rather than turning to anything else in order to fill the void?

FURTHER READING:

Stephanie is a mom of three young sons and wife to Dave, who is currently in seminary preparing for chaplaincy in the US Army. In her spare time, she’s employed at a law firm.